Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 5:30 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Zuffa take Bellator to court to sue them...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:47 pm 
Special

While most MMA pundits wouldn't consider Bellator Fighting Championships and the UFC direct rivals, they soon will be – in court.

According to a report by Yahoo! Sports' Kevin Iole, Zuffa, LLC, the parent company of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, has filed suit in a Nevada court against MMA Agents' head Ken Pavia and the Bellator organization.

At the center of the concern is alleged theft of "trade secrets and confidential Zuffa documents," which Zuffa contends Pavia passed along to Bellator officials.

Pavia is one of mixed martial arts' most influential agents, and he represents a number of fighters in both the UFC and Bellator organizations.

Neither Pavia nor Bellator officials were immediately available for comment when contacted late Thursday night by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

According to Iole's report, the suit provides copies of emails allegedly between Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney and Pavia that outline the wrongdoing.

"You've been great about sending us 'All' of the seminal docs from the UFC, so that we can re-do them and implement them for Bellator," Rebney allegedly states in one such email.

"Please list each in terms of what it is for and how the UFC uses them/implements them. ... Then I'm going to have our team Monday re-type them and we will sufficiently alter them such that they will appear to be ours and not theirs."

According to the report, "Zuffa seeks actual and punitive damages and a permanent injunction barring Bellator or Pavia from using Zuffa’s assets, including its intellectual property."

..::UFC on Fuel TV 2 Gustafsson vs. Silva Competition Winner::..
..::Strikeforce - Diaz vs. Cyborg Competition Winner::..
..::UFC Fight For The Troops 2 Competition Winner::..
..::Strikeforce Nashville Competition Winner::..
..::Strikeforce Challengers 9 Winner::..

Post subject: Re: Zuffa take Bellator to court to sue them...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:01 pm 
Special

;) Lazy mofos at bellator

..::The Ultimate Fighter 15 Finale Competition Winner::..
..::UFC Live Kongo Vs. Barry Competition Winner::..
..::UFC 130 - Rampage vs. Hamill Competition Winner::..
..::WEC 48 - Aldo vs. Faber Winner::..
..::WEC 49 - Varner vs Shalorus Winner::..
..::UFC 113 Competition Winner::..
..::UFC 119 Competition Winner::..
Favourite .. FIGHTer: Chan Sung Jung
Best looking FIGHTer: Michelle Waterson
Best retired FIGHTer: Bas Rutten
Best P4P ... FIGHTer: Anderson The Spider Silva!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

Seems Zuffa is all about fighting, in the cage, in the court, who knows where they will take it next. To the moon?
Sometimes they remind me a little of the ex East German secret agency, Stazi. They spent more money on tapping phones and following people then on anything else and eventually it became so expensive it was the largest cost the nation had. And for what? In the end what it led to was that all the citizens lived in a constant fair of being snitched by some neighbour or being taken by Stazi and tortured. All wich in the long run had great part of that nations destruction and dissapearance.

Would you like to work for Zuffa? I know I wouldnt.

Looking for a seedbox? RuTorrent, qbitTorrent, Deluge and Transmission included in all packages! Unlimited torrents, unlimited transfers!
Perfect for both beginners and professionals. Watch the files directly in your browser without downloading or download to your device, up to you!

Really Fast 1 Gbit seedboxes - Professional support 24/7/365 - Click to learn more
To get a recurring 10% discount on all seedbox packages use the PROMO CODE: mmatorrents

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:55 pm 
Special

What The Ufc Is Doing Is What The Power Elite R Doing 2 The World :twisted:
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiH0ke5TFTM][/youtube]
By Any Means Necessary :!: :!: :!:

..::UFC 110 Competition Winner::..
..::Strikeforce Challengers 9 Winner::..

CAIN VELASQUEZ Wins By Ground & Pound Leaves Brock Lesnar With Tunnel Butt!!!

TOP 13 FIGHTERS
Rousimar Palhares
Chan Sung Jung
Mariusz Pudzianowski
Ryo Chonan
Tito Ortiz
Kazuyuki Fujita
Phil Baroni
Kimbo Slice
Mark Kerr
Charles Bennett
Mikey Burnett
Paulo Filho

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:58 pm 
Site Admin

He he he, the perfect video :mrgreen:

Looking for a seedbox? RuTorrent, qbitTorrent, Deluge and Transmission included in all packages! Unlimited torrents, unlimited transfers!
Perfect for both beginners and professionals. Watch the files directly in your browser without downloading or download to your device, up to you!

Really Fast 1 Gbit seedboxes - Professional support 24/7/365 - Click to learn more
To get a recurring 10% discount on all seedbox packages use the PROMO CODE: mmatorrents

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:43 am 
Special

While Zuffa, LLC – the parent-company of the Ultimate Fighting Championship and World Extreme Cagefighting – has traditionally been voracious in terms of protecting its product, Thursday night's revelation that the company was suing the Bellator Fighting Championships, as well as influential agent Ken Pavia, came as quite a surprise.

Bellator officials were just as taken aback, according to the company's newly hired attorney, Patrick English.

"I was asked to represent Bellator yesterday when they heard there had been a lawsuit filed," English told MMAjunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com). "Originally, they had no idea what it was about. It was actually Kevin Iole who was kind enough to tell me what it was about."

It was combat sports journalist Iole's report on Yahoo! Sports that first sent shockwaves through the MMA community. Iole outlined the details of Zuffa's lawsuit – filed in Clark County, Nevada, and a copy of which MMAjunkie.com has since obtained – which alleges that Pavia and Bellator "conspired to misappropriate Zuffa's confidential information and trade secrets in an effort to unfairly compete against Zuffa in the MMA marketplace."

While English doesn't deny that certain documents were shared, he insists that the lawsuit was hardly necessary and that Bellator officials did not participate in any wrongdoing.

"They weren't, per se, confidential UFC documents that were being talked about," English said. "It was very simple. Bellator was interested in checking on forms that the UFC typically uses in order to see if it was missing anything in terms of its own forms. The types of forms that we're talking about, by and large – there's a form that the UFC uses making sure that the fighters don't use the same colored trunks. There's forms that notify them that they're not supposed to have sponsorship stuff on their attire. There was a form that dealt with termination of contracts. Those are not confidential documents, and the bulk of what we're talking about is that.

"We're not talking about proprietary information, meaning information that would include things like confidential financial information or anything like that."

Of course, as the UFC's representatives readily admit in the complaint, they really aren't fully aware what was shared between Pavia and Bellator, hence the lawsuit. The complaint alleges that the documents may have included "promotional agreements, bout agreements, sponsorship forms, extension letters, injury forms, and the like."

As Zuffa representative Donald Campbell, Esq., a partner in the Las Vegas-based firm Campbell & Williams, told MMAjunkie.com, "We intend to conduct a very intensive and thorough investigation and hold all of the parties engaged in wrongdoing fully accountable to the full measure of the law."

The email

At the center of the lawsuit is a particularly concerning email from Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney to Pavia.

The full (un-edited) email reads:

Quote:
Ken,

Tim and I know that you've been doing great about sending us "All" of the seminal docs from the UFC, so that we can re-do them and implement them for Bellator.

Can you please re-send emails with those attachments. Literally list them 1-TBD.

Please list each in terms of what it is for and how the UFC uses them/implements them.

Please also make sure they are attached and correspondingly listed.

Then I'm going to have our team Monday re-type them and we will sufficiently alter them such that they will appear to be ours and not theirs.

If you can get this over to us late today, that would be great.

Thanks,

B

While some MMA observers questioned the authenticity of the email, English didn't claim the correspondence was a forgery in any way. Instead, he simply believes the documents in question should not create concern – and he's quite happy to share them all with Zuffa's counsel.

"The bottom line is this: Despite a rather inflammatory email that Bjorn sent out, Bellator has not received – in the bulk of what Ken Pavia sent – confidential information," English said. "I can understand why the UFC would be upset given the email, but I reached out for them to explain exactly what Bellator did receive, and I would hope they'll understand once they understand exactly what was transmitted and why.

"Bellator hasn't actually used anything it was sent. In fairness to the UFC, they don't know that. I'm willing to share with them exactly what that is, and I think that will allay their concerns at the end of the day."

While the natural question asked by many is, "Where did the UFC get the e-mail?", English said he's not concerned.

"It certainly wasn't through Bellator, but it doesn't really matter," English said.

"There will be no financial damages"

Understandably, Rebney is currently unwilling to discuss the pending litigation directly. But the Bellator CEO did state that with his promotion's third 12-week season less than 14 days away, he's not letting the lawsuit provide any distraction.

"We're working 20 hours a day right now," Rebney said. "We've been relentless. ... We've just been going nuts. I think we've got a spectacular show coming up with the first show to kick everything off. There are fights on the show that won't even make the TV show that I'm excited to see. Yves Edawrds-Luis Palomino and some of the other fights that aren't even going to be on the show are going to be great.

"We've just been working like dogs – going nuts and getting it all together. It never ceases to amaze me how much effort goes into 12 shows in sequence on a weekly basis. I actually wish something would disrupt the amount of time we're putting into it."

Of course, when the news first came out, many MMA messageboards erupted with doomsday scenarios for Bellator. Rebney believes nothing could be farther from the truth.

"I've never given it a thought," Rebney said. "We're in a better position right now than the company has ever been in since the day I founded it – since the first day I came up with the idea when I was sitting in my living room in Brentwood, Calif. We're in a stronger position right now than we've ever been in. We're in a good spot. I'm very comfortable with where we are right now.

"I'm by no stretch of the imagination calm just because we've got so much going on and we've got so much happening in terms of production. We're constantly changing and adjusting and adapting and trying out new stuff, but we're in a great spot. Everything is going extremely well. We're thrilled with where we are. We're thrilled with what's going on in terms of TV. We're in a very, very good spot right now."

English also stated despite Zuffa's request for compensatory and exemplary damages, as well as attorney's fees and court costs, Bellator's financial well-being is not in peril.

"It's very simple: there will be no financial damages because it's a big pile of nothing," English said. "I don't mean this to be critical of the UFC. The UFC simply doesn't know what was sent as of the time they filed this – and frankly, right now. There's absolutely no difficulty sharing with the UFC exactly what was sent and dealing with any concerns they've got.

"It's much ado about nothing. If they knew, they wouldn't have filed the lawsuit, I'm sure. In this particular case, the easiest thing to do is to be forthright and truthful and discuss it with them. It's that simple."

"There's nothing really to fight about"

Meanwhile, Pavia's standing with the UFC is unclear. The MMA Agents boss wasn't available for comment when contacted by MMAjunkie.com, but one of his many clients, Todd Brown, was officially announced as a UFC newcomer today and will compete at next week's UFC 117 event.

Requests for comment from UFC president Dana White were not immediately returned, and Zuffa's counsel declined to speculate on the current condition of the relationship.

"That's a question better left addressed by Mr. Pavia," Campbell said.

Both Zuffa and Bellator representatives confirm they have yet to address each other directly, but English suggests the issue should be settled quickly and painlessly.

"It should be because there's nothing really to fight about," English said. "I've called into them. I have a letter into them. I know they've got a show this weekend. They know me. These are people that I've worked with over the years in other capacities.

"This is nothing more than a company making sure it wasn't missing any bases."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:13 pm 
Special

Industrial espionage goes MMA :mrgreen:

I don't see anything bad in following UFC footsteps. UFC has set up standards and following them isn't bad but really positive thing. Also I can't see how Bellator can be threat to UFC and WEC. Small promotions are living off hardcore fans while Zuffa is having products for the masses. In the end all smaller promotions are feeders for UFC and the more professional they become the more positives for MMA community appears.
UFC will poach all of the talent that rises through the ranks of other promotions.
Only danger to Zuffa is that someone with more money appears, which I hope will happen soon :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:43 am 
Special

Bellator is now suing UFC. It never ends. A Bellator contracted fighter's managers kept telling Bellator their fighter was injured while he was trying out for the TUF show and he got in :lol:

Read story here:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2195

“He who attacks must vanquish. He who defends must merely survive. "

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]