Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 2:16 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: [SPOILERS] WEC 48 - AfterTalk!!!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:37 pm 
Special

Right OBS...DENT ...i m a bring you in...this is what happened

WEC is on verses and has a contract there, now to do a ppv it would have to be done without using WEC name brand as that is verses shit, so on verses they showed the countdown....spike showed the pre lims and they could do this as they did not use the words WEC. Also by contractual rights if they did a ppv they cant use WEC or likeness so they have to change the team have no WEC brand signs and do it as a branch off.
This was done so 3 channels could have a piece of this event...spike got pre lims, verses got count down show and WEC exposure on other channels even though they didn say WEC and the ppv channel got the event...

if the WEC president was involved then it would be classed as a WEC event, they had to alter the product to get away with it but not alter it to much.

The UFC team was used as i think after strikeforce and as it was the first of its kind for "WEC" it is good to go with a crew that know their roles and are reliable.

You with me?

This is why it was Aldo v Faber and not called WEC48

also you will notice buffer said the...Light weight champ of the world not WEC this was all part of the plan by dana to have a ppv by WEC without shitting on verses dick.

This was also good as now we may just see super fights like ufcs BJ penn v Aldo....etc under that title not ufc or WEC.

woooooo hope you get it..lol

..::UFC on Fuel TV 2 Gustafsson vs. Silva Competition Winner::..
..::Strikeforce - Diaz vs. Cyborg Competition Winner::..
..::UFC Fight For The Troops 2 Competition Winner::..
..::Strikeforce Nashville Competition Winner::..
..::Strikeforce Challengers 9 Winner::..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:37 pm 
Special

Ya I was wondering why they didn't have their normal WEC gloves on. They just had a pair of plain blue ones on.

..::Strikeforce - Fedor vs. Werdum Competition Winner::..

Favorite Fighters:
Alistair Overeem, Kenny Florian, KJ Noons, Miguel Torres, Brian Stann, Donald Cerrone, Carlos Condit, Shane Carwin.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:40 pm 

Okay, I have to rant here:

Is Leonard Garcia mentally challenged? There is absolutely no logical reason that he can't throw a straight punch, or at least throw hooks with something that resembles skill. There is also no reason that he can't at least pretend that he has a gameplan beyond windmilling like a chimpanzee that's been given a sparkler. He's in one of the most revered fight camps in the world, and what does he do with it? Why on Earth does he waste his time and money training techniques with experts when all he does is throw arm punches until someone falls over? He has power and a great chin, why not use those things to try to be a mixed martial artist?

I am so unbelievably baffled by how many people said this fight was great. Were it not for a few technical moments by Chun, this would have been a Toughman competition. I don't mind a good freakshow fight every now and then for a laugh, but keep that stuff in Japan where it belongs. If you thought this was the fight of the night, please ask yourself: if you were hosting an MMA gathering with a room full of first-timers, would this be a good representation of what the sport should look like? How many times would you feel compelled to say "um, guys, they don't usually fight like this." To say this is FOTN over Pickett-Johnson, or pretty much any other fight on the card, is a damn travesty.

Overall great event, bad picks. I went 7-4 but would have gone 9-2 if I hadn't broken two of my fight-picking rules:

1) If it's a classic grappler v. striker match, go with the grappler. Njokuani started off like he was asleep - how did he not know Roller was going to shoot immediately? I really thought he'd be smarter than that and use better movement and come out aggressive.

2) When in doubt, stick to your initial instincts. My first inclination was to go with Pickett because of his experience and toughness (not to mention a great guard and slick ground game), but I listened to too many analysts praising Johnson's wrestling and athleticism. I started to see the fight as more of a top-game domination by Johnson, but his strategy was bad. He should have put Pickett on his back from the get-go and kept him there.

I was blown away by Aldo - I picked him to win but I thought it'd at least be competitive. Faber had absolutely nothing for him.

..::Strikeforce Houston Competition Winner::..
..::Strikeforce Henderson vs. Babalu II Competition Winner::..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:44 pm 
How do you think Ben Henderson would do in the UFC lightweight division ? Its really hard for me to rate the WEC lightweight-division.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:51 pm 

Well, nevermind I guess. Garcia got a FOTN bonus, so I guess mindlessly swinging your arms and taking punches in the face for 15 minutes is worth $65K. Maybe Garcia and Chis Lytle need to get a place together.

I am not a fan of setting this precedent. In a sport where everyone is trying to sell the athleticism and skill of the fighters, should we really be rewarding fighters that show a complete lack of skill in the cage? I'd rather give that $65K to someone like Tyler Toner, who showed what spending thousands of hours working on technique looks like.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:15 pm 
Special

kam...i think henderson is a top fighter and would run through the ufc he has god.

i see what your saying about garcia and jung could have exposed him and didnt..and you know what its good to have a fisty cuff barn burner every now and then, not everyone is a connoisseur of the sport and it attracts fans then they see some one with some bjj and transitions then they start to get educated.

you cant take it away from them 65k was fair for the war and epic fight they had

..::UFC on Fuel TV 2 Gustafsson vs. Silva Competition Winner::..
..::Strikeforce - Diaz vs. Cyborg Competition Winner::..
..::UFC Fight For The Troops 2 Competition Winner::..
..::Strikeforce Nashville Competition Winner::..
..::Strikeforce Challengers 9 Winner::..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:49 pm 
Special

sixdemonbag wrote:
Well, nevermind I guess. Garcia got a FOTN bonus, so I guess mindlessly swinging your arms and taking punches in the face for 15 minutes is worth $65K. Maybe Garcia and Chis Lytle need to get a place together.

I am not a fan of setting this precedent. In a sport where everyone is trying to sell the athleticism and skill of the fighters, should we really be rewarding fighters that show a complete lack of skill in the cage? I'd rather give that $65K to someone like Tyler Toner, who showed what spending thousands of hours working on technique looks like.

I have to say that skills do not always add to entertainment. MMA is about fighting, being the best in whatever way and giving all you got in my opinion. Jake Shields is probably very skilled but I did not like his fight at SF Nashville at all. A Silva is probably one of the best skilled fighters in the MMA but he lacks fighting spirit at times and that was also a reason for disliking his last few rounds of running cage laps.

So to me the Garcia vs Sung fight was a great fight not because of the technique they used or the accuracy in striking but because they went all the way despite being totally gassed out at times. So it hardly had a dull moment. But we all watch things we like to see, in your case it might be skills, the perfect punch, the perfect kick or maybe even the perfect defence. That is your choice and I respect that but if all fighters would be perfect then the fights will not be as exciting because they would not make any mistakes, gas out etc ;)

..::UFC 119 Competition Winner::..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:11 pm 
Site Admin

yeah thx pepaseed, I got ya :ugeek: :)

Looking for a seedbox? RuTorrent, qbitTorrent, Deluge and Transmission included in all packages! Unlimited torrents, unlimited transfers!
Perfect for both beginners and professionals. Watch the files directly in your browser without downloading or download to your device, up to you!

Really Fast 1 Gbit seedboxes - Professional support 24/7/365 - Click to learn more
To get a recurring 10% discount on all seedbox packages use the PROMO CODE: mmatorrents

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:27 pm 
Site Admin

The Korean Zombie in action

After WEC's Griffin vs. Bonnar moment, White says he's willing to arrange a rematch

A little more than five years ago, then-UFC hopefuls Forrest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar contested one of the most entertaining bouts in the organization's history at the first-ever The Ultimate Fighter Finale – the night the UFC first aired live on Spike TV.

This past Saturday night, Leonard Garcia and Chan Sung Jung engaged in an equally rousing affair while placed in a similar position: the featherweight contest aired on Spike TV and served as the lead in for "Aldo vs. Faber," the WEC's first-ever pay-per-view event.

Following the event, UFC president Dana White expressed his gratitude for the performance and said he wouldn't mind letting "Bad Boy" and "The Korean Zombie" do it again.

"Everything lined up for us," White told MMAjunkie.com. "Those guys came out and performed. You couldn't have picked a better fight to lead right into the pay-per-view.

"These guys are definitely the Griffin and Bonnar of the lighter weight divisions. No doubt. It was awesome. ... I think people would love to see a rematch."

As for Garcia, the hard-hitting 30-year-old has been involved in memorable battles before. Garcia famously dropped a 2007 decision at UFC 69 to budding Sports Illustrated cover figure Roger Huerta.

Following the fight, Garcia said the matchup with Jung was exactly what he had hoped for – and he'd love for a chance at a replay.

"[Jung] is one of the first guys that came in toe to toe and stood with me," Garcia said. "He said he was going to do that, and I respect him a lot for it. I'd love to have a fight like that every month – if my body could take it."

Garcia and Jung both left the arena with their hands in a splint and their bodies bruised and battered. While some MMA observers have since argued the relative greatness of a bout that relied more on heart and haymakers than strategy and technique, White said the bout has cemented itself firmly in his personal list of favorite fights.

And as with Griffin's win over Bonnar, it was the right fight at the time.

"It was a great fight," White said. "There's always a winner and a loser, but everybody that saw that fight was a winner.

"That fight was incredible. It was one of the best fights I've ever seen. Those two went at it. I want to say, 'Thank you,' to both of them, and I give them a lot of respect."

Source: http://mmajunkie.com/news/18907/after-w ... ematch.mma

Looking for a seedbox? RuTorrent, qbitTorrent, Deluge and Transmission included in all packages! Unlimited torrents, unlimited transfers!
Perfect for both beginners and professionals. Watch the files directly in your browser without downloading or download to your device, up to you!

Really Fast 1 Gbit seedboxes - Professional support 24/7/365 - Click to learn more
To get a recurring 10% discount on all seedbox packages use the PROMO CODE: mmatorrents

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:40 am 

Dent wrote:
"It was a great fight," White said. "There's always a winner and a loser, but everybody that saw that fight was a winner.

I beg to differ. There were two guys that saw the fight and weren't winners: Brad Pickett and Demetrious Johnson. Those two guys showed every bit as much heart and fortitude as Garcia and Jung, they just happened to show it by using the skills and athleticism of great mixed martial artists. There was hardly a second of their fight where the pace wasn't full-on. It was a fast-paced, back and forth and displayed the beautiful synthesis of skills that is MMA.

I'm not saying people can't or shouldn't like the Garcia fight. I can see it's appeal as pure entertainment. I do however think it shouldn't be rewarded disproportionately over great displays of actual MMA. If I'm Pickett or Johnson I have to be thinking "so planting your feet, windmilling punches, and getting repeatedly hit in the face gets you an extra $65K...why am I working so hard to learn technique and strategy?"

What is even more baffling to me is that many people are giving this FOTY candidacy. Fight of the Year is supposed to be the best representation of the sport for that given year. It's the fight that you can hold up and say "this is what the sport looks like at it's best." If someone who had never seen MMA came up to you and asked why you like the sport, what it's about, etc. would you show them Garcia v. Jung, or Henderson v. Cerrone 1 (last year's FOTY)? If it's the former, I can't imagine that person seeing MMA as the combination of skill, athleticism, technique and determination that we'd all like to think it is.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next