Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 8:46 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 11 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Guru (Gang Starr) in a coma
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:43 am 
Special

woke up to some bad news....

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.1 ... -in-a-coma

Quote:
One of Hip Hop's most influential emcees is presently in critical condition, several sources say. Guru, one half of pioneering '80s, '90s and '00s Brooklyn-based Hip Hop group Gang Starr suffered a heart attack this weekend, according to the emcee and producer's sister Tricia.

HipHopWired.com says that the emcee, born Keith Elam is presently in a coma from complications of going into cardiac arrest. Guru is best known for penning hits such as "Words I Manifest," "Discipline" and "Just To Get A Rep." Between 1986 and 2004, Guru (an acronym Gifted Unlimited Rhymes Universal) founded Gang Starr, a duo with DJ Premier that also includes Gang Starr Foundation affiliates Big Shug, Group Home, Jeru Da Damaja and Smiley Da Ghetto Child.

Born and raised in the Boston area, Guru relocated to Brooklyn in the late '80s, where Gang Starr released its first singles with 45 King as producer. By 1988, the group evolved as a duo with Premier, and released their 1989 full-length debut No More Mr. Nice Guy on Wild Pitch Records. The duo would go on to release classic albums on Chrysalis/Virgin/EMI, such as 1994's Hard To Earn and 1998's Moment Of Truth. Gang Starr's last album, 2003's The Ownerz featured Jadakiss, Fat Joe and longtime affiliate Freddie Foxxx. The platinum group toured the world and released several greatest hits collections, most notably Full Clip: A Decade Of Gang Starr in 1999. The duo announced their split in 2004, reportedly due to creative and personal differences.

As a solo artist, Guru released four volumes of Jazzmatazz, Jazz-inspired recordings with legendary genre artists such as Donald Byrd and Roy Ayers. Guru has launched two labels in his career, Ill Kid Records and 7Grand, where he and production partner Solar worked alongside artists such as Talib Kweli, Damian Marley and Jean Grae.

HipHopDX extends prayerful thoughts to one of our staff's most-respected emcees, the Elam family, Solar, DJ Premier and fans. We will keep you updated.

UPDATE: Miss Info confirms these reports with sources close to Guru. The emcee is presently in a New York hospital, awaiting surgery. DJ Eclipse spoke with DJ Premier, who also confirmed this. Premier was going to address the matter on Eclipse's Sirius Hip Hop Nation show, but later changed his decision.

NahRight.com has compiled Twitter reactions from notable artists including Jean Grae, ?uestlove, Royce Da 5'9" and Jay Electronica.

UPDATE: Solar, Guru's production partner and co-founder of 7 Grand Records released a statement to HipHopDX through his spokespeople at Yo! Public Relations. The statement is as follows, "Guru is struggling with a serious health issue. We, the whole 7 Grand Records family, appreciate all your love and well wishes. We continue to hold out hope that Guru will make a full recovery from this. We ask that his privacy on this matter will be respected. Again, thank you for all your support through this trying time."

..::UFC 119 Competition Winner::..
..::WEC 45 - Cerrone vs. Ratcliff Winner::..
..::Strikeforce San Jose - Diaz vs Noons II Winner::..

Post subject: Re: Guru (Gang Starr) in a coma
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:26 pm 
Special

Yeah I woke up to this yesterday, very sad indeed. I think he was scheduled to have surgery today, hope it went/goes well.

The world doesn't need to lose any more musical geniuses.

RIP DILLA.

..::WEC 46 - Varner vs. Henderson Competition Winner::..
..::WEC 51 - Aldo vs. Gamburyan Competition Winner::..
..::Strikeforce Heavy Artillery Competition Winner::..

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:30 pm 
Site Admin

UPDATE: Spokespeople for Guru and 7 Grand Records told HipHopDX early Tuesday morning that Guru's surgery yesterday was successful, and the emcee is expected to make a full recovery. More information will be made available today.

Really sad to hear this, glad he is recovering. I like Jazzamataz and the Guru sound. Used to love his music back in the 90ies. Still do :)

Looking for a seedbox? RuTorrent, qbitTorrent, Deluge and Transmission included in all packages! Unlimited torrents, unlimited transfers!
Perfect for both beginners and professionals. Watch the files directly in your browser without downloading or download to your device, up to you!

Really Fast 1 Gbit seedboxes - Professional support 24/7/365 - Click to learn more
To get a recurring 10% discount on all seedbox packages use the PROMO CODE: mmatorrents

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:12 pm 
Special

lenoz wrote:
RIP DILLA.

Word....too many headz gone in the past couple of years.

PS: Check out pepaseeds blog - you'll prob dig it: http://pepamill.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:13 pm 
Special

Hip-hop icon Guru dies at age 43
The rapper who pioneered the concept of merging jazz and hip-hop dies of cancer.

R.I.P.

..::UFC 110 Competition Winner::..
..::Strikeforce Challengers 9 Winner::..

CAIN VELASQUEZ Wins By Ground & Pound Leaves Brock Lesnar With Tunnel Butt!!!

TOP 13 FIGHTERS
Rousimar Palhares
Chan Sung Jung
Mariusz Pudzianowski
Ryo Chonan
Tito Ortiz
Kazuyuki Fujita
Phil Baroni
Kimbo Slice
Mark Kerr
Charles Bennett
Mikey Burnett
Paulo Filho

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:16 am 
Special

Fuck Solar

The Gang Starr Legacy will live on...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:31 am 
Site Admin

RIP

I grew up with his music. Big inspiration for me as a kid. Will miss him.

Looking for a seedbox? RuTorrent, qbitTorrent, Deluge and Transmission included in all packages! Unlimited torrents, unlimited transfers!
Perfect for both beginners and professionals. Watch the files directly in your browser without downloading or download to your device, up to you!

Really Fast 1 Gbit seedboxes - Professional support 24/7/365 - Click to learn more
To get a recurring 10% discount on all seedbox packages use the PROMO CODE: mmatorrents

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:28 am 
Special

R I P

Was lucky to see Gangstarr in London...preemo n Guru one of the best yet...

Fuck solar

..::UFC on Fuel TV 2 Gustafsson vs. Silva Competition Winner::..
..::Strikeforce - Diaz vs. Cyborg Competition Winner::..
..::UFC Fight For The Troops 2 Competition Winner::..
..::Strikeforce Nashville Competition Winner::..
..::Strikeforce Challengers 9 Winner::..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:12 pm 

Hi guys, new here :)

I have to admit up front that I was a generation before Guru, but I imagine your shock about this is the same as when I heard Jam Master Jay got shot to death in a recording studio.

I guess for me, Run-DMC were one of the creators of modern hip-hop, and to have them stopped in their tracks like that was not only a great loss for the fans, but also the industry. So many have fallen over the years, you have to wonder how 50 cent and guys like that have avoided it.

Rap In Peace - All those who came before and are still here in the seeds they left behind.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:45 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum Karmakaze :)
Not to mention 2pac and biggie... sigh

I grew uplistening to rundmc too. Great music!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 11 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next