Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:18 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 8   [ 74 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: [SPOILERS] UFC 112 - AfterTalk!!!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:08 am 
Special

For those of you who think BJ Penn won his fight against Frankie Edward, this might lend a little credit to your argument:

http://fightmetric.com/fights/Edgar-Penn.html

I still think Frankie controlled the majority of the fight and won, but I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking otherwise. Either way, judging is still a major issue in MMA. I don't know how anyone could score it 45-50.

..::Strikeforce Carrano vs. Cyborg Competition Winner::..
..::Strikeforce Challengers 9 Winner::..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:10 am 

myself i think edgar really deserved win , myself scored it 48 - 47 for edgar and about silva , i dont know where he always gets these excuses,i had friend visiting and i promised that the fight will be awesome but no got stunned myself,big probs for maia. at this point i wouldnt even want to see gsp vs silva fighting.

..::Strikeforce Heavy Artillery Competition Winner::..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:27 am 
Special

ObSkewer wrote:
Yeah, I thought this event was going to be a guaranteed 720p download required and something to really remember, and it turned out not to be. Incredibly bad for my picks - must be my worst event ever, by far!

You and me, both! We should get points based on how many we got wrong. ;-)

ObSkewer wrote:
Hughes vs Gracie wasn't bad, but as people in the press conference kept trying to get Matt to acknowlege, he really looked like he could have finished that fight with punches several times but chose not to. Gracie looked okay early on, but gassed hard way too early also. A comment by Dana in the presser suggeted (to my thinking anyway) Gracie won't be back, but then I'm not suprised anyway cos I was under the impression it was a one-fight deal as a request by one of the new backers for getting this event sorted.

I feel kinda bad for Renzo. He had six months to get ready for the fight, but he hadn't trained for over two years prior. At age 43, six months isn't enough time to develop the cardio he needed. There's only one Randy Couture and he NEVER stops training.

His deal was a multi-fight deal, but UFC reserves the right to terminate at any time. So basically, it was really a single fight deal with an option to extend. I hope they give him one more chance...but give him another six months. He deserves to finish his career with a win or at least a well matched battle.

ObSkewer wrote:
...I wonder whether those comments were filtered by Soares at the time, or what caused the change of heart.

No, not filtered, per se. It was an outright re-writing of what Silva said. I've read the translations of the post-fight octagon interview and press conference. Silva is approaching Brock level asshattery.

He said he was offended by what Maia said before the fight and he wanted to make Maia feel helpless.
Mission accomplished.

To be honest, I secretly hope BLAF tells Silva to either fight Machida or GTFO.

..::Strikeforce Carrano vs. Cyborg Competition Winner::..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:15 am 
Special

jrhendrix wrote:
For those of you who think BJ Penn won his fight against Frankie Edward, this might lend a little credit to your argument:

http://fightmetric.com/fights/Edgar-Penn.html

I still think Frankie controlled the majority of the fight and won, but I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking otherwise. Either way, judging is still a major issue in MMA. I don't know how anyone could score it 45-50.

Thanks, as I wrote on the first page:

subvertbeats wrote:
Id love to see compustrike stats for that fight.

also...

PMBR wrote:

You guys feel that you have to beat the champ to become the champ. I feel that you have to beat your opponent to remain the champ. BJ got beat in the standup. Frankie had better movement, came in at better angles, better combinations and earned the decision. Title fight or not, Frankie Edgar won more rounds than BJ did.

To be fair only one person said that.

..::UFC 119 Competition Winner::..
..::WEC 45 - Cerrone vs. Ratcliff Winner::..
..::Strikeforce San Jose - Diaz vs Noons II Winner::..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:41 am 
Special

ROFL @ those pics hendrix. Classic.

“He who attacks must vanquish. He who defends must merely survive. "

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:44 am 

I've read all of the posts regarding the disaster that happened last saturday so what's more to say...
I was kinda curious what GSP was doing on the sideline with his headphones on, and if that still affects a possible upcoming matchup?

Yes, Silva was acting beyond childish and not as a professional at all. What could be the reason that he acted like that. Lots of thoughts are going on.

- Silva was offended by Maia...?
- Silva was disappointed that he could fight Belfort..? ( Maybe the fight should've been delayed until Belfort was capable of fighting again)
- Silva is bored that 'another' fight comes up and isnt challenging enough....?

I cannot imagine what Dana White is thinking about how to solve this problem. Somehow Silva should get punished for this. But would it be a good call to just kick Silva from the UFC..?
Give him a shot against GSP? Move him up the ladder to LHW?

Imho it's not Silva who is facing the toughest opponent, it's mister White.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:16 am 
Special

I would like to give Silva one major credit though. He gave us all something to talk about on this forum ;)

..::Strikeforce Henderson vs. Babalu II Competition Winner::..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:37 pm 
Special

wow......

all i can say really.. :o and :(

also i apologise for the post press conference and the dickhead dumb ass UK journalists that asked some of the stupid questions ever.

Dana looked pissed big time scotty coker must have been lovin it

..::UFC on Fuel TV 2 Gustafsson vs. Silva Competition Winner::..
..::Strikeforce - Diaz vs. Cyborg Competition Winner::..
..::UFC Fight For The Troops 2 Competition Winner::..
..::Strikeforce Nashville Competition Winner::..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:16 pm 
Special

PMBR wrote:
Title fight or not, Frankie Edgar won more rounds than BJ did.

Not according to FightMetric, it would seem....

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/4/11/14 ... -j-penn-vs

Quote:
FightMetric has released it's report for the B.J. Penn/Frank Edgar fight at UFC 112. Here's the Effectiveness Score and ten point must system scoring round-by-round:

Round Penn Edgar TPM
1 94 34 10-9 Penn
2 110 28 10-9 Penn
3 55 43 10-9 Penn
4 57 55 10-10
5 63 96 10-9 Edgar
Total 373 263 49-47 Penn

Well, that really puts a dent in Douglas Crosby's 50-45 scorecard now, doesn't it?

That said, while the first two rounds very clearly go to Penn, rounds 3-5 are close enough that it's defensible to give Frankie Edgar a 48-47 decision. I don't think anyone would dispute that.

Still, with a 100 point advantage in the Effectiveness Score (and personally scoring the bout the exact same way as FightMetric when I watched the fight "live"), Edgar's victory leaves a sore taste in my mouth.

Notable stats:

-FightMetric credited Edgar with 13 takedowns attempts, with 1 success. They did not award him a takedown in round 2 because "he was unable to establish an advantageous position before Penn got back to his feet."

-Penn edged Edgar in total strikes 72 to 63.

-Penn edged Edgar in HiPer strikes 71 to 61.

-Penn attacked more to the head with 61 of his 72 strikes, while Edgar threw 24 of his 63 strikes to the legs and body.

..::WEC 45 - Cerrone vs. Ratcliff Winner::..
..::Strikeforce San Jose - Diaz vs Noons II Winner::..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:13 pm 

It's mostly been said. Props to Maia, who was still trying to make it a fight at the end.

I really don't see what so many of you see on the Edgar-Penn fight. BJ did not seem at the top of his game, but still looked to me like a champ who took the center of the octagon and stalked a dancing, impressively quick Edgar all night long. I didn't see Edgar dictating anything, except that if BJ wanted to fight him, he'd have to catch him first. This is a personal beef, but I *hate* that style of fighting... unless the person doing it does so with devastating effectiveness and finishes fights. You could argue that Machida is such a fighter. I want a champ to come into the center of the cage and take on all comers (figuratively speaking). I do NOT see it as robbery or the like -- it was a very close fight. I gave 1 and 2 to Penn, 3-5 were all insanely close, in my book. Probably 48-47 for one or the other, depending on where each judge places weight or emphasis, which is still a sticking point in MMA judging.

You should not be able to take the belt from the champ by dancing around him for five rounds, no matter how quick you are. You should have to engage the champ. I *do* think there's a difference between a normal, non-title fight and a title fight -- not in terms of having to beat him by more points, etc, but in terms of having to come to the champ and engage him and take the belt. They're NOT equals. I *don't* see it as "the belt is gone, nobody owns it, it's up for grabs equally", I see it as "one has the belt, the other wants to take it". But maybe I'm a freak like that.

If I were the Emperor of the UFC, BJ would still have the belt. And Anderson Silva wouldn't. His performance was a disgrace to the sport, IMHO. If you're that good, finish the &*$&% fight.

But I don't mean to go off on a rant...

..::Strikeforce Henderson vs. Babalu II Competition Winner::..

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 8   [ 74 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next