Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:25 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 8   [ 74 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: [SPOILERS] UFC 112 - AfterTalk!!!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:05 pm 
Special

PMBR wrote:
You guys feel that you have to beat the champ to become the champ. I feel that you have to beat your opponent to remain the champ. BJ got beat in the standup. Frankie had better movement, came in at better angles, better combinations and earned the decision. Title fight or not, Frankie Edgar won more rounds than BJ did.

I don't think that at all. To me it is like this. Once the fight starts, there is no belt. It is man to man (or sometimes woman to woman). So the decision should be like any other fight. Also in case of a draw, but in that case the belt is still for the owner. But in my opinion this was just a boring fight for us to watch.

Like Silva did in the first 2 rounds that is showing you are a champ. What he did after, is showing he can be a bowel cramp.

..::Strikeforce Henderson vs. Babalu II Competition Winner::..
..::UFC 119 Competition Winner::..

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:10 pm 

The discussion a lot of people are having revolves around Silva being bored at 185. He puts on a show at 205 and quickly knocks people out because he is proving himself in a new division. At 185, there's nothing left for him to prove, so he's bored fighting guys that he is clearly better than.

After last night, I can't possibly see Silva cutting to 170.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:27 pm 

Here are my dream matchups to motivate silva:
GSP @175
Rua @ LHW especially if he beats Machida
Mousasi @MW (I said dream)
Cro Cop @ LHW I know this has next to no chance of happening, but I would love to see it if Cro Cop wins his next fight convincingly. He could easily drop down to LHW and even though he probably wouldn't win it would be fun to see 2 great strikers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:49 pm 
Quote:
GSP @175
Cro Cop @ LHW I know this has next to no chance of happening, but I would love to see it if Cro Cop wins his next fight convincingly. He could easily drop down to LHW and even though he probably wouldn't win it would be fun to see 2 great strikers

I love these fights. The fight against GSP Im not that interested in. Because he can always come up with the excuse that he loses too much power cutting weight, if he gets defeated by GSP. I would to see him fight Mousasi and Rua as you say. Maybe Silva will end up in strikeforce, so I actually believe it could be possible. The fight against Cro Cop would also be nice, and I can also imagine a fight against Dos Santos. But is it possible that its hard for Silva to finish other brazilians ? I think about the Leites and Maia fights, which he should have been able to finish, but didnt do much in the end. Did he fight any other from Brazil when he fought in PRIDE?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:40 pm 
Special

noshelter wrote:
GSP @175

Its not gonna happen for a while as they still want to build him up some more, but for me its all about...

Silva vs Jon Jones

;)

Mind you I still wanna see him fight Vitor

..::UFC 119 Competition Winner::..
..::WEC 45 - Cerrone vs. Ratcliff Winner::..
..::Strikeforce San Jose - Diaz vs Noons II Winner::..

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:48 pm 
Special

I'm embarrassed to call Anderson Silva my favorite fighter. The first two rounds were entertaining, but the rest was worse than a Tim Sylvia title defense. If Silva thinks he isn't being challenged, then call his bluff, and give him Frank Mir; let's see Silva dance and play around with someone 265 pounds. Hell, give him Jon Jones, Randy Couture or even Roy Nelson.. just someone who will fight him, and possibly humble him.

I think we all want to see him fight Chael Sonnen (R). Sonnen (R) believes its his obligation to society to beat him up.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:02 pm 
Special

..::Strikeforce Carrano vs. Cyborg Competition Winner::..
..::Strikeforce Challengers 9 Winner::..

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:53 pm 
Special

Yeah, I thought this event was going to be a guaranteed 720p download required and something to really remember, and it turned out not to be. Incredibly bad for my picks - must be my worst event ever, by far!

Etim had a poor performance for his first main card fight. Shame, as he's a great fighter. Good sub for Dos Anjos, who will have gained a lot of kudos with the win.

Munoz vs Grove was very decent. Munoz looked excellent in the second round and showed a lot of heart in the first. Nowhere near title contention, but heading up the ladder.

Hughes vs Gracie wasn't bad, but as people in the press conference kept trying to get Matt to acknowlege, he really looked like he could have finished that fight with punches several times but chose not to. Gracie looked okay early on, but gassed hard way too early also. A comment by Dana in the presser suggeted (to my thinking anyway) Gracie won't be back, but then I'm not suprised anyway cos I was under the impression it was a one-fight deal as a request by one of the new backers for getting this event sorted.

Frankie clearly beat BJ throughout that fight. I only gave BJ one round. This "beating the champ definitively to take the belt" crap is just that... BJ looked very reluctant to move and I wonder how bad that knee was. Having said that, Edgar fought really, really well and was on great form. Think he might struggle to defend the belt unless he can gain some more power in those punches though. And my vote would go for Florian to get the next shot, not Maynard.

The main event started off as an awesome spectacle (note: "spectacle", not neccessarily "fight") and then descended into farce. Silva is my favourite fighter, but he's so hard to defend when he pulls shit like those final two rounds. Good on Miragliotta for warning him. Anderson came across really badly in the press conference also and had done a U-turn on the comments made in the octagon after the fight, so, same as someone suggested in an earlier comment, I wonder whether those comments were filtered by Soares at the time, or what caused the change of heart.

Dana is PISSED in the conference - well worth a watch. Really makes you fear for Silva's UFC contract.

As a side note, I'm not at all interested in Silva vs GSP, particularly at 170 (which I don't think will ever happen anyway). I think there's too much potential for a fight much like this one crossed with GSP's last one, where all GSP wants to do is get the fight to the floor and Anderson is too big and too good at stand-up, so will try to avoid shots until he either drops GSP or he gets bored that GSP won't trade and so he starts messing around. Granted, GSP has a better chance than Maia of getting him down, but I'd say even less chance of finishing him and a far higher chance of getting subbed or pounded out himself when on the ground. If the opposite happens and Silva comes out guns blazing like we'd all want and knocks out GSP in the first round, then that's what the majority of people reckoned he'd do anyway... Now, if Rua does beat Machida in their rematch, I will lay money that Silva will be up for that fight at LHW. I'd also like to see Anderson against Kongo or CroCop if he really wants to try HW next. Assuming he still has a job with the UFC ;-)

..::UFC 108 Competition Winner::..

..::Strikeforce Carrano vs. Cyborg Competition Winner::..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:24 am 

Maia fight was gross. I really like Maia's heart, but Silva was just too technical. It's amazing how many shots Maia hit at the end of the last two rounds that I didn't expect to hit Silva.

WAR EDGAR LETS GO NJ! Haha, I was all for this. I do wonder how much Penn talks about a knee injury, he looks less mobile than usual.

Phil Davis had a slick submission.

The rest of the card was alright, but I didn't like any of the 3 main fights. Renzo goes up 2 rounds then gasses and Hughes looked like the most reluctant fighter of all time? Did he even shoot once?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:44 am 

VocalistSSP wrote:

The rest of the card was alright, but I didn't like any of the 3 main fights. Renzo goes up 2 rounds then gasses and Hughes looked like the most reluctant fighter of all time? Did he even shoot once?

Hughes' strategy was clearly to keep the fight standing, and he said as much in his post fight interview. I picked Hughes, but I thought it would go down like this: Hughes comes in wanting to stand, Renzo out-boxes him for a round or so, then Hughes realizes that he will NEVER understand the standup game and takes the fight to the ground where it belongs, then a GnP victory via TKO. Seriously, Hughes has some of the most awkward and sloppy standup I've ever seen. He's off-balance even when throwing jabs! Overall you can't argue with the results but DAMN that was some ugly fighting. His camp was however spot-on in seeing the leg kicks as the key to victory.

As for Penn-Edgar, I had the fight for BJ but it was obviously not a good performance. And yes, can we please stop this "you have to beat the champ to get the belt" mentality? Championship fights have to be scored and decided just like every other fight. Otherwise, we get into a highly subjective realm of having to decide "well, he beat him but did he beat him enough?"

..::Strikeforce Houston Competition Winner::..
..::Strikeforce Henderson vs. Babalu II Competition Winner::..

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 8   [ 74 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next