Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 1:18 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: UFC 101 SPOILERS - Seen the event? Give us your opinion!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:45 am 

My god I can't believe it was just a rumour about the injury another thing that pisses me off is he got 60k bonus for fight of the night.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:29 am 

i guess he will need it though

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:20 am 

LARMORE wrote:
You've been watching too much pro-wrestling lately. The third knockdown was the last straw with Griffin, as Anderson hurt him pretty good with the second knockdown, and rattled him with the first. It was the accumilation of blows, not to mention Silva's pinpoint accuracy in striking. To suggest a fight would need to be thrown for Anderson Silva to win is absolutely ridiculous.

First, I haven't watched tv wrestling since Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant were going at it. That should date me, pretty much.

Second, you might well be right about the accumulation of blows, but watching the fight I don't get that impression.

Third, about the pinpoint accuracy, you're right about that. Can't argue there. Except that last knockout punch doesn't appear to have hit the button, nor was it hard enough to knock him out.

Fourth, I don't know why you think a fight getting thrown is so impossible.

Quote:
Forrest has a chin, but he wasn't being hit by just anyone, and it is not the first time he's been knocked out.

Forrest ran immediately after the fight, because he was upset. Who the hell are you to judge?

Oh, so now everyone who comments on the fight is "judging"? I am the same as you, discussing opinions on the fight. Isn't that the point of the forum? I don't need a belt to hold an opinion.

Quote:
Fighters react differently to losses, and it is not like Forrest hasn't gotten emotional over a bad loss before. Go watch the loss against Jardine; he cries! Hell, even in the loss to Tito, he criticized his performance in the first round in the post-fight interview.

True. But when did he ever run out of the building like that??

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:22 am 

res0r9lm wrote:
My god I can't believe it was just a rumour about the injury another thing that pisses me off is he got 60k bonus for fight of the night.

I think he deserved the money; its a message to the other fighters that they need to go for broke, win lose or draw.

One thing the Forrest Griffen- Anderson Silva fight had was action. They got in there and brawled. They fought. They didn't dance around all day, they didn't clinch up on the fence to breathe, and they didn't lay on each other's guard. The battled it out.

Any fighter that does that deserves to be paid, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:44 am 

Jamal wrote:
Im thinking that Silva is #1 P4P after that, to go up in weight against a guy who beat Shogun & Rampage and totally destroy him is a feat in its own.

Also, George Sot looked fuckin sick, his BJJ was awesome his transitions were so fluent, cant wait to see him again

agreed. i think with this fight Silva proved that he is the p4p nr1 before this i thought it was fedor but it is amazing how anderson disposed of forrest.

Fan of Fighters, Not Organizations.

UFC HW BELT = SAKU BELT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:40 pm 
Special

BlackSpade wrote:
you might well be right about the accumulation of blows, but watching the fight I don't get that impression.

Did you you only tune in for the third knockdown? Go watch the first and second knockdowns.

BlackSpade wrote:
about the pinpoint accuracy, you're right about that. Can't argue there. Except that last knockout punch doesn't appear to have hit the button, nor was it hard enough to knock him out.

Then you obviously haven't watched the multi-angle replays of it. Again, go watch the fight.

Watch ALL OF IT, not just the last punch, so you can argue some ridiculous conspiracy theory.

BlackSpade wrote:
Fourth, I don't know why you think a fight getting thrown is so impossible.

If we were talking about PRIDE.

However, this is Anderson Silva, someone who DOESN'T need a fixed fight.

BlackSpade wrote:
so now everyone who comments on the fight is "judging"? I am the same as you, discussing opinions on the fight. Isn't that the point of the forum? I don't need a belt to hold an opinion.

No, but to criticize how someone handles a beating like that is absolutely ridiculous. Forrest was probably just as shocked, if not more so, as the rest of us.

It's also the second time in a row he has been knocked out. I'd curious to see how the same keyboard warriors who are criticizing him would react if they lost two fights in a row via knock out.

BlackSpade wrote:
True. But when did he ever run out of the building like that??

When did he ever receive a beating like that?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:01 am 

LARMORE wrote:
Did you you only tune in for the third knockdown? Go watch the first and second knockdowns.

None of those are convincing knockouts. Especially when you consider what Forrest went through with Stephan Bonnar. Forrest took some straight up Mack Truck punches in that fight. Yet Anderson Silva knocks him out with some highly accurate jabs?

BlackSpade wrote:
Watch ALL OF IT, not just the last punch, so you can argue some ridiculous conspiracy theory.

Easy there, tiger.

a. I'm not arguing... merely discussing the possibilities that can explain what I saw... and
b. I'm not exactly married to the whole conspiracy theory idea. I just find it quite difficult for me to accept that those love taps knocked down one of the hardiest fighters in the UFC

Quote:
If we were talking about PRIDE.

However, this is Anderson Silva, someone who DOESN'T need a fixed fight.

Maybe someone within the structure of the UFC doesn't agree with you. Anderson Silva just came off a ridiculous last two fights, where we basically had the privilidge of watching him spar for 10 rounds against fighters clearly not in his class. Where you claim he didn't need a convincing win, I would point to his last two fights- along with the fact that people now "boo" him- as evidence that he needed a convincing win more than ever. This is especially true when he is being billed as the greatest pound for pound in the world. A crappy showing against Forrest would have damaged the credibility of the UFC, since it is the UFC making the P4P claim.

Quote:
No, but to criticize how someone handles a beating like that is absolutely ridiculous.

First I was "judging" him. Now you say I'm criticizing him.

Bro, nothing can be more incorrect than that statement. If you read my post again, you will understand that I am not critical of Forrest. I am a FAN of Forrest Griffen. It is precisely BECAUSE I AM A FAN that I am in shock he went out the way he did. In my mind he is one of the biggest reasons the UFC is as big as it is, and he has earned 100% of whatever he has, because I am aware of his work ethic. I also know he can take a punch better than most of the fighters in the UFC. When he was taken out by Kieth Jardine, you see a series of SPECTACULAR punches. Go look at UFC 66 again, and you'll see what I'm talking about. Then compare those punches with the ones landed by Anderson Silva. If you boil it down, Jardine's punches were much more impressive.

Quote:
Forrest was probably just as shocked, if not more so, as the rest of us.

Probably so. My statements were not a criticism.

Quote:
I'd curious to see how the same keyboard warriors who are criticizing him would react if they lost two fights in a row via knock out.

You know nothing about my background but I am sure you'd be surprised at who you were calling a "keyboard warrior". I gladly admitted that I have never held a belt. But not every warrior has that opportunity or pursues that route. Everything about my post is written from the perspective of a respectful fan- with that same kind of respect to my fellow forum members. You might try that also, before you go firing off insults or calling someone you don't know a "keyboard warrior".

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:28 am 
Special

To clarify, I wasn't directly calling you a keyboard warrior; I was more so/meant referring to those who are out-right criticizing him for, as there are a lot of people criticizing him for some retarded reason. I don't mean for you to take it directly. I phrased it wrongly, and realize you weren't in fact criticizing him. I guess you throwing in the unusuality of a fighter running straight out of a cage sort of factored it into my rant, but no, you didn't really criticize him. Truce?

BlackSpade wrote:
None of those are convincing knockouts. Especially when you consider what Forrest went through with Stephan Bonnar. Forrest took some straight up Mack Truck punches in that fight. Yet Anderson Silva knocks him out with some highly accurate jabs?

Highly accurate, and clearly, hard enough. They don't look hard, but looks are deceiving, and there's a difference between seeing and feeling something.

BlackSpade wrote:
I'm not exactly married to the whole conspiracy theory idea. I just find it quite difficult for me to accept that those love taps knocked down one of the hardiest fighters in the UFC

Again, just because something doesn't look "strong" doesn't mean it is, in fact, a weak punch.

Besides, this is the third time Forrest has been knocked out in his UFC career. When you also factor in the great wars he's been in, they eventually catch up to a fighter.

BlackSpade wrote:
Maybe someone within the structure of the UFC doesn't agree with you. Anderson Silva just came off a ridiculous last two fights, where we basically had the privilidge of watching him spar for 10 rounds against fighters clearly not in his class. Where you claim he didn't need a convincing win, I would point to his last two fights- along with the fact that people now "boo" him- as evidence that he needed a convincing win more than ever. This is especially true when he is being billed as the greatest pound for pound in the world. A crappy showing against Forrest would have damaged the credibility of the UFC, since it is the UFC making the P4P claim.

When did I claim he didn't need a convincing win?

The point is, he doesn't need someone to throw a fight to make him look good. He fought the way he did the last two times because he can, and because he was bored, which is as much of a testament to his talent as just destroying someone. How many other fighters can just toy with a challenger and have the talent to end a fight when/how he wants to?

He was given another shot at Light Heavyweight, thus another challenge, and excelled even better than he did the first time. That explains the difference between this fight, and the last two Middleweight defenses: he was actually challenged.

BlackSpade wrote:
Forrest Griffen can take a punch better than most of the fighters in the UFC. When he was taken out by Kieth Jardine, you see a series of SPECTACULAR punches. Go look at UFC 66 again, and you'll see what I'm talking about. Then compare those punches with the ones landed by Anderson Silva. If you boil it down, Jardine's punches were much more impressive.

Again, don't you think the knock outs and wars eventually catch up to someone?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:16 am 

LARMORE wrote:
To clarify, I wasn't directly calling you a keyboard warrior; I was more so/meant referring to those who are out-right criticizing him for, as there are a lot of people criticizing him for some retarded reason. I don't mean for you to take it directly. I phrased it wrongly, and realize you weren't in fact criticizing him. I guess you throwing in the unusuality of a fighter running straight out of a cage sort of factored it into my rant, but no, you didn't really criticize him. Truce?

Aaaight - - truce and you buy the next round of beer. ;)

I agree too many people want to talk shit about fighters without ever considering what goes into it, namely giving into the lifestyle completely and sweating your ass off every day.
Quote:
Highly accurate, and clearly, hard enough. They don't look hard, but looks are deceiving, and there's a difference between seeing and feeling something.
Once again, agreed on the difference between looks and "feels". But I've been hit many a time, and in addition have logged in a few thousand hours of WATCHING fights too. I'm going off the same thing you are: fight analysis through the 1280x720. Granted, I have zero evidence other than that.

Quote:
Again, just because something doesn't look "strong" doesn't mean it is, in fact, a weak punch.

Besides, this is the third time Forrest has been knocked out in his UFC career. When you also factor in the great wars he's been in, they eventually catch up to a fighter.

That is the most persuasive point you've made, and I guess I might have to chalk it up to that factor. Forrest does this weird thing I've seen in some clips where he wants people to hit him so he can "get rid of that flinching reflex". It might be that he's been doing that for too long.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:49 am 

I was reading all your posts and all I can say is WOW! Some of you think it's a fixed fight, others think the blows were weak. I noticed one thing that Anderson tried in the Franklin fight, fight like Roy Jones Jnr. Silva studied his tapes, and I haven't seen him on flat foot in a long time. What I mean is usually in boxing guys like Mike Tyson, the power punchers, stays on there foot, while the light and fast boxers stays on there toes; they lose in power but can give a beating and avoid one. I noticed that Forrest have rudimentary kickboxing, and when I say rudimentary I mean the basics. It's easy to avoid those kind of kicks and punches as you see them coming from miles away. Both Forrest and Irvin got punished on the switch stance of Silva I mean come on, can't you use your left leg? Griffin got beat by a far more superior technician and tactician. And the last punch was more than a jab don't listen to Joe Rogan he doesn't have infuse science. My post is only what I noticed in Silva's fighting technic, he changes it, while Forrest came on the same horse.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next