Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 11:16 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 19 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: [SPOILERS] UFC 121 - Lesnar vs Velasquez
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:35 am 

GeNioS wrote:
Jake Shields was a great steal by Dana White. He beats Henderson and then White steals him over to UFC leaving Strikeforce with no champion at a key weight class and everyone left fighting for the vacant title have all lost recently......so....great steal and business decision....

....however......

....he sucks to watch as a fighter. I know people will argue but takedowns should mean absolutely NOTHING. It's what you do with it once you get there. Anyone who saw the last Bellator watched Askren get his face busted up while his opponent looked fine at the end of the fight...but you take a guy down enough and pitter-patter him with bitch slaps and I guess that's enough to win these days. So now that you stole the guy in genius fashion, Dana...what are you going to do now that you have the most unmarketable "winning" fighter in UFC history. I wouldn't pay a nickel to watch Jake "dryhump" Shields fight.

Only other note...I'd like to thank all the people who bet on Lesnar even after Carwin showed that he can get knocked around....Velasquez went off at +170 to win by ko/sub and that's the easiest $$$ I've made in MMA....ever. Lensar will now take over Kimbo Slice's vacant sideshow role in MMA. His one dimensional big man lay on them and trap the arm move cannot defeat a fighter with real skill.

Okay more one thing....sorry Fedor...I was a huge fan...one of your biggest perhaps....but you are officially now irrelevant...get in the game or retire...period.

Jacare hasn't lost recently and he's the Strikeforce MW champ...

After watching Shields' last couple of fights I also thought he was a boring LnP fighter, but seeing him grapple all over Kampmann gave me renewed respect for his abilities. Imagine if he hadn't gassed, we might have seen something amazing in this fight. Unfortunately his one dimension, even though he's the best grappler at 170, will not make him a champion at WW in the UFC. Even in SF, I think Jacare could have beat him.

I have to disagree with Fedor being irrelevant after 121. If anything, it shows he could beat Brock as easily as Cain did. He has competition in SF like Werdum and Overeem, both of whom would wreck most of the UFC's top 10 at HW. I hope he goes after it, but maybe he's ready to ride off into the sunset like Crocop.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:38 pm 
Site Admin

omoplater wrote:
I was underwhelmed by the show because most of the guys who should have won showed why they can't crack top 5 in their divisions. Besides the Cain domination of Brock, the other results were not representative of the fighters' abilities.

I can't understand how Diego Sanchez gets so much support. What I saw in the Thiago fight is that Sanchez will never be top tier in a competitive division. Sure he might get title fights because people like to see his wild man act, but his latest fight showed that all he really brings is stamina and possibly delusions of grandeur. Thiago was clearly better on the feet and superior on the ground. Sanchez hasn't been able to finish anyone in his last 5 fights, earning 2 losses and 3 decision wins. Anyone top 5 in the WW division owns him. He'd be best served to move back to LW so he can get beat by smaller guys there.

It's weird that Shields supposedly cut 20 lbs in one day for this fight. Was he busy the other 6 months since his last fight with Hendo? Guys like GSP start cutting weight 2-3 weeks before a fight. Kampmann again demonstrates why he'll always be a gatekeeper. Gonzaga too.

Otherwise it was a good night of fights. For the fellow who said it was top 10 of all shows, I think you should sign up for Netflix and rent some of the other show DVDs. And I'm surprised you weren't impressed with Shields' grappling for the 2 minutes he was all over Kampmann before he gassed. That was some amazing grappling skill.

Great to see we can have such different opinions about things and still come along :)
I respect your opinions and to be honest, I have actually watched all the ufc shows. We obviously apprechiate different things, wanna fight about it? :mrgreen: just kidding, it doesnt matter. Some like wrestling and some KO's etc.
It was interesting to read what you wrote though.

Its not often I watch the whole event twize directly after eachother, I think it has happend 2-3 times before, so I still say it was one of the best UFC's Ive seen.

omoplater wrote:
Imagine if he hadn't gassed

He didnt gas in the Hendo fight or did he? I still think he looked boring there too and unable to ko or tko anyone.
His grappling is awesome I give you that ;)

freddyboi wrote:
that was a mad fight for diego how funy was it when he picked thiago up and was screaming running across the octagon than dumping him hahaha

His energy and stamina is just amazing. He lives, eat, sleeps on 8000 feet height I thought he said didnt he? I like the way he changes after each fight. Now he was on "Earn it" mode. And I guess he did.

GeNioS wrote:
I know people will argue but takedowns should mean absolutely NOTHING. It's what you do with it once you get there. Anyone who saw the last Bellator watched Askren get his face busted up while his opponent looked fine at the end of the fight...but you take a guy down enough and pitter-patter him with bitch slaps and I guess that's enough to win these days.

I happen to agree on that!

Looking for a seedbox? RuTorrent, qbitTorrent, Deluge and Transmission included in all packages! Unlimited torrents, unlimited transfers!
Perfect for both beginners and professionals. Watch the files directly in your browser without downloading or download to your device, up to you!

Really Fast 1 Gbit seedboxes - Professional support 24/7/365 - Click to learn more
To get a recurring 10% discount on all seedbox packages use the PROMO CODE: mmatorrents

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:52 am 

Dent wrote:
Great to see we can have such different opinions about things and still come along :)
I respect your opinions and to be honest, I have actually watched all the ufc shows. We obviously apprechiate different things, wanna fight about it? :mrgreen: just kidding, it doesnt matter. Some like wrestling and some KO's etc.
It was interesting to read what you wrote though.

Its not often I watch the whole event twize directly after eachother, I think it has happend 2-3 times before, so I still say it was one of the best UFC's Ive seen.

He didnt gas in the Hendo fight or did he? I still think he looked boring there too and unable to ko or tko anyone.
His grappling is awesome I give you that ;)

His performances against Miller and Hendo were definitely not impressive and he did not gas in either of those fights, so you're right about him to a point. But the flash of grappling ability over a guy like Kampmann shows Shields has the potential to be exciting.

I imagine I'd like the show better too if all my guys hadn't lost (except Hamill and Cain, but they aren't really "my guys"). I'll watch it again and see if I enjoy it more. Thanks,

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:52 am 

omoplater wrote:
His performances against Miller and Hendo were definitely not impressive and he did not gas in either of those fights, so you're right about him to a point. But the flash of grappling ability over a guy like Kampmann shows Shields has the potential to be exciting.

I guess we have different definitions of "grappling." To me, "grappling" involves more than just controlling another man's body. Grappling, to me, means utilizing position and technique to execute chokes, breaks, hyperextensions, etc. And not just a rear naked choke or arm triangle that any super-douche can learn from me in my backyard in 20 minutes.

Jake Shields is a wrestler. Just like Ben Askren is a wrestler. If you wait four years to watch olympic wrestling, or check the guide ever year and wait up until 2am to watch the college wrestling finals on CBS college sports or ESPN U, then those are your guys.

Unfortunately, there's a reason why that sport doesn't draw any fans (that aren't queers from Iowa) and have little to no professional marketability. It sucks. Unfortunately, somewhere along the line of santioning bodies, rounds, gloves, etc., a takedown became worth something...and the sport has suffered ever since.

I've written it before, but it's been maybe a year or so....I'll say it again....god damnit I wish that guys like Dryhump Shields or Askren would have to finish their opponent...because you know what...they can't do it 90% of the time. They're just a new breed of Dan Severn fighting against Royce Gracie. Only this time, instead of Gracie being given as much time as necessary to figure out a way to GRAPPLE his opponent and SUBMIT him, the fight ends after 15 minutes and Severn is given the victory. And the irony of it all, is that if there were rounds back then, and Severn was given the victory, the UFC would probably not exist today. I'm not saying that MMA wouldn't have spawned itself in some way, but some of the biggest victories and famous fights that laid the foundation of the sport would not have happened under today's rules. And it was those types of victories that propelled the sport forward.
Is there any question that Kampmann wins the fight if it goes 10 more minutes? 20 minutes? My draw to MMA from UFC 1 on, and the reason I started training in Jiu-Jitsu back in the early 90's, was that I viewed it as a pure fight to the death. That when the fight ended, in essence the victor was in a position to kill his opponent. One fighter or one style was clearly dominant over another.

This isn't true with wrestling. Wrestling advocates for years before MMA claimed that wrestling matches showed one man's dominance over another. They scoffed at the notion that being on your back was a safer position then your stomach. Until after 3 months in the gym and I was submitting collegiate wrestlers with moves they'd never seen before.

Wrestlers were like oil and water...they just didn't mix in MMA...so something had to give....and you think it would have been the athletes...that the wrestlers would have to learn finishing techniques other than simple chokes or pinning an arm under a leg like my sister used to tickle me when I was a kid. Unfortunately it was the sport. The sport actually evolved to benefit of the wrestler, rather than wrestler being forced to admit his sport was insufficient in its ability to purely finish an opponent. And now look at us....15 years later, actually calling wrestlers "grapplers." That's hilarious.

I guess I'm old school. It's a sport now. I have to move on and realize that the fight to the death I so much enjoyed watching and training in is dead now. Jake Shields...potential to be exciting...with all due respect...that's a load of rat shit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:58 pm 
Site Admin

How many of the judges has a jiu-jitsu background? How many have boxing or wrestling background/experience?

I think the biggest flaw in UFC are the judges. They set the trend of how a fight is scored and all other judges in smaller promotions follow their lead. They have nowhere else to look. I think I said it before. We need fighters as refs. Say what you want about Chuck and Tito and the old timers, but I am sure that they would judge a fight much better then the usual suspects we are forced to see give fantasy scores to fighters that doesnt do any damage. There are just too many examples of fights ending 2 judges scroing the fight 27-30 and the third 30-27 just like they watched different fights. Whats up with that? No IMO get some real fighters that have years and years of experience INSIDE the ring.

And yeah UFC 121 would have been much less cool if 'my guys' all lost! No doubt I agree on that.

Looking for a seedbox? RuTorrent, qbitTorrent, Deluge and Transmission included in all packages! Unlimited torrents, unlimited transfers!
Perfect for both beginners and professionals. Watch the files directly in your browser without downloading or download to your device, up to you!

Really Fast 1 Gbit seedboxes - Professional support 24/7/365 - Click to learn more
To get a recurring 10% discount on all seedbox packages use the PROMO CODE: mmatorrents

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:32 pm 

Dent wrote:
We need fighters as refs.

This is an interesting idea....going to be hard to find guys not training others or playing favorites....but I like the idea. As long as the fighters are given a pool of prospective judges and agree, this might offer some sort of solution.

Fighters would know when guys are doing real damage and when they aren't. And that's really what we're talking about. Damage.

Yeah...I like the idea.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:19 am 
Site Admin

Would you let a guy that never played football in his life ref a football match? Thats what happening every event in UFC. Guys that never had an MMA fight are judging the fighters performance. Really idiotic if you ask me. The argument that they have experience in boxing etc is as far fetched as saying that 'well the football ref never played football, but hes really good at rugby!'.

I guess that getting fighters to prioritize judging before training other fighters etc is an economical question. If you pay a fighter enough he will probably be happy to do the work as a judge. I have no idea what they make though. More then me Im sure lol.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:44 am 
Special

omoplater wrote:
I was underwhelmed by the show because most of the guys who should have won showed why they can't crack top 5 in their divisions. Besides the Cain domination of Brock, the other results were not representative of the fighters' abilities.

Agreed, bar the odd intermittent demonstration of excellent skill and ability (eg Shields transitions and sweeps) I didnt think the event was anything too special if you take every fight into account (though I havent watched a couple of the undercard fights yet), but the main event was spectacular..

omoplater wrote:
I can't understand how Diego Sanchez gets so much support. What I saw in the Thiago fight is that Sanchez will never be top tier in a competitive division. Sure he might get title fights because people like to see his wild man act, but his latest fight showed that all he really brings is stamina and possibly delusions of grandeur. Thiago was clearly better on the feet and superior on the ground. Sanchez hasn't been able to finish anyone in his last 5 fights, earning 2 losses and 3 decision wins. Anyone top 5 in the WW division owns him. He'd be best served to move back to LW so he can get beat by smaller guys there.

Couldnt agree more. He'll never be a champ at either weight. He's just slightly loopy and sometime fun to watch, though in general he just irritates me.

omoplater wrote:
It's weird that Shields supposedly cut 20 lbs in one day for this fight. Was he busy the other 6 months since his last fight with Hendo? Guys like GSP start cutting weight 2-3 weeks before a fight.

No excuse really, just no excuse.

omoplater wrote:
Kampmann again demonstrates why he'll always be a gatekeeper. Gonzaga too.

Agree about Kampann.
Gonzaga too, but I expected a lot more from him in this fight. He looks a shadow of the fighter that we saw before Randy humbled him.

..::UFC 119 Competition Winner::..
..::WEC 45 - Cerrone vs. Ratcliff Winner::..
..::Strikeforce San Jose - Diaz vs Noons II Winner::..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:45 am 
Special

PS: @ Pepaseed - lol @ Brock smacking the cop out of the way during his entrance hahaha

..::UFC 119 Competition Winner::..
..::WEC 45 - Cerrone vs. Ratcliff Winner::..
..::Strikeforce San Jose - Diaz vs Noons II Winner::..

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 19 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2