Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:26 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 14 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Mir gets motivated
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:45 pm 
Special

BlackSpade wrote:
First off, he actually DID disrespect Couture, he just didn't go all crazy with it. He said "I don't respect Randy"; it was in an interview. He softened that statement, though, by saying "I don't respect any of my opponents" right afterward.

The meaning of "respect" in the context of Lesnar's message is not the Tank Abbott meaning to it that people are spinning it to be; Brock means that he doesn't focus too much on an opponent's strengths during a fight. For example, GSP respected Matt Hughes in their first fight, and got submitted. Other fighters have said the same exact thing, but in different and better terms. Then again, Lesnar could (and has) spell it out, and some would STILL hate him regardless.

BlackSpade wrote:
As for no one respecting him when he first came to the UFC, it's not like he rated or merited to be respected. He had to earn it (which he has done so). What alot of people didn't know is that before the UFC, he was a world class wrestler- which means he was a genuine athlete. Somehow, because of that I thought he would do well in MMA. But he really needs to learn how to throw a REAL punch.

He knows how to throw a real punch; he knocked Herring and Couture both on their asses with a punch.

He hasn't fully developed a stand-up game yet, but neither has Matt Hughes, and yet he still manages to carve out a successful career for himself. Although he probably should develop a good game, Lesnar's best weapon is ground and pound, and it's going to keep Lesnar winning.

Unless his opponent also has a strong wrestling background (i.e. Couture, and hopefully Carwin in the future), he will have no real problems. The moment Lesnar gets you to the ground, it is bad news.

BlackSpade wrote:
As for Mir, I have nothing but respect for the guy. He got into a ring with a clydesdale horse- a genuine world class athlete- and he lost. So what. The score cards are now 1-1. Mir rates a third fight, and who knows what can happen. Mir needs to put on about 25 lbs. of lean muscle and try again.

One more thing to remember about Lesnar: he's bringing some of that showmanship over from wrestling.

Nothing wrong with showmanship. There are plenty of MMA fighters who are showmen, but Lesnar only gets heat because he is the most successful and famous pro-wrestler who ever stepped into a UFC octagon. He went overboard in knocking Bud Light, but otherwise, I had absolutely no problem whatsoever with his antics againt Mir.

I too would like to see another Lesnar vs. Mir fight, because nothing would be better than seeing Lesnar beat Mir's ass for a third time. The main thing Mir needs to do in the next/final fight is to spend less time running off at the mouth, and more time figuring out a gameplan to beat Godzilla again. I do not blame Lesnar for treating Mir like he did after the fight, and I certainly wouldn't have blamed Matt Hughes if he acted differently after the fight with Serra. One can only talk so much shit until it goes overboard, and Mir went overboard with it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:20 am 

LARMORE wrote:

The meaning of "respect" in the context of Lesnar's message is not the Tank Abbott meaning to it that people are spinning it to be; Brock means that he doesn't focus too much on an opponent's strengths during a fight. For example, GSP respected Matt Hughes in their first fight, and got submitted. Other fighters have said the same exact thing, but in different and better terms. Then again, Lesnar could (and has) spell it out, and some would STILL hate him regardless.

Dude, Brock Lesnar is not a "respectful" fighter in pretty much any basic sense of the word. He doesn't bow, doesn't shake hands, doesn't congratulate a beaten fighter. And he talks as much shit as the next guy.

Don't confuse that with me disliking him. Personally, I'm one of the people that DOES like him; I'm enjoying the "theater" he brings. As a fan and someone who trains in MMA, I can understand the traditionalists and the purists point of view, but to me there isn't anything wrong with bringing some showmanship. I like it. To me, you don't have to choose between a Harley and a GSXR1000. The purists want one or the other. I say "both"! Solid elite level athleticism, respectability brought on by good doctors, good referees, good judges, etc. But also some flair, some shit-talking and some showmanship.

Quote:
He knows how to throw a real punch; he knocked Herring and Couture both on their asses with a punch.

He hasn't fully developed a stand-up game yet, but neither has Matt Hughes, and yet he still manages to carve out a successful career for himself. Although he probably should develop a good game, Lesnar's best weapon is ground and pound, and it's going to keep Lesnar winning.

Unless his opponent also has a strong wrestling background (i.e. Couture, and hopefully Carwin in the future), he will have no real problems. The moment Lesnar gets you to the ground, it is bad news.

Oh, I know he is capable of knocking people on their ass. He pounded out Couture as you stated. But he will never reach his true potential unless he gets under a good boxing coach in my opinion. Matt Hughes you mentioned. What happened when he faced GSP? He got outboxed, and his only tool in the box was constantly attempting a takedown which GSP stuffed forever. Had Hughes had the ability to box, he would have been something closer to what GSP is to this day: a completely rounded fighter. Brock Lesnar can get by on strength and hammer fists for the time being, but when he squares off against someone that can punch hard and fast, he will lose.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with showmanship. There are plenty of MMA fighters who are showmen, but Lesnar only gets heat because he is the most successful and famous pro-wrestler who ever stepped into a UFC octagon. He went overboard in knocking Bud Light, but otherwise, I had absolutely no problem whatsoever with his antics againt Mir.

Agreed on all points. I actually thought the Bud Light thing was pretty funny, although I'm sure everyone in the UFC must have shit bricks.

Quote:
I too would like to see another Lesnar vs. Mir fight, because nothing would be better than seeing Lesnar beat Mir's ass for a third time. The main thing Mir needs to do in the next/final fight is to spend less time running off at the mouth, and more time figuring out a gameplan to beat Godzilla again. I do not blame Lesnar for treating Mir like he did after the fight, and I certainly wouldn't have blamed Matt Hughes if he acted differently after the fight with Serra. One can only talk so much shit until it goes overboard, and Mir went overboard with it.

You know, if there is one thing that really disappointed me about Mir this time around, it is that he didn't keep his mouth shut. He should have taken a page from Hendo (Vs. Bisping) and just done his thing in the ring. In that case, if he lost he still would have had some fan support.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:14 pm 
Site Admin

Lessnar is ok as a person and he is a good fighter. But his attitude isnt convincing unfortunately. And he knows it and hates that he will always have WWE over his head. And it shows in his anger to the people that dont cheer him as he is used too even if he wins so he gets even agrier and dont understnads why people wont accept him. And all that shows and makes him seem weak in a way.

he should just fight and fight and eventually people will have to respect him. And meanwhile try to shut up.

Looking for a seedbox? RuTorrent, qbitTorrent, Deluge and Transmission included in all packages! Unlimited torrents, unlimited transfers!
Perfect for both beginners and professionals. Watch the files directly in your browser without downloading or download to your device, up to you!

Really Fast 1 Gbit seedboxes - Professional support 24/7/365 - Click to learn more
To get a recurring 10% discount on all seedbox packages use the PROMO CODE: mmatorrents

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:08 am 
Special

Dent wrote:
Lessnar is ok as a person and he is a good fighter. But his attitude isnt convincing unfortunately. And he knows it and hates that he will always have WWE over his head. And it shows in his anger to the people that dont cheer him as he is used too even if he wins so he gets even agrier and dont understnads why people wont accept him. And all that shows and makes him seem weak in a way

I'm pretty sure Lesnar doesn't care if the fans or community accept him, and that's one of the reasons I like him. Paul Heyman actually wrote that Lesnar personally thrives more off being hated than liked, so being hated is only going to motivate Lesnar more.

So, I hope the MMA community and American audience continue to hate him, because it'll drive him to continue improving and beating challengers :D

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 14 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2