Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:40 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: ‘Shogun’ Unleashes Disappointment at Judges
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:56 pm 
Site Admin

The fact that two Brazilians are involved in public dispute regarding the UFC light heavyweight championship has attracted the attention of the media in their homeland.

The most popular newspaper in Parana, Gazeta do Povo, published a long interview this week in which former Chute Boxe Academy standout, Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, unleashed his disappointment at the judges decision in wake of his controversial loss to Lyoto Machida at UFC 104 on Oct. 24 in Los Angeles.

The report attempted to outline the criterion by which judges Nelson Hamilton, Cecil Peoples and Marcos Rosales scored the bout, noting that their decision motivated heated discussion in the mixed martial arts community regarding judging in the sport.

“I got really sad with that result but happy by the impact,” Rua said. “I train hard, and every round, my corner told me to be calm because I was winning. Once I was winning, I decided to not expose myself and enter into Lyoto’s game. If I got more aggressive, I would have entered into Lyoto’s game and taken unnecessary risks, just like all his previous opponents did. I used the right tactics and I will probably do the same in the rematch.”

Rua, who won the 2005 Pride Fighting Championships middleweight grand prix, discussed the disappointment he felt when the decision was read.

“When the fight was over, I talked with many people, including [UFC President] Dana White. Everybody said I won, except the three judges, but they’d rather give the win to Lyoto,” Rua said. “It’s so bad to lose a battle like that for interest of other people.”

Rua also addressed a statement Peoples made in which the judge claimed he was not aggressive enough to win.

“I was not aggressive enough? You just have to look at my face and his face after the fight,” Rua said. “He didn’t kick me one single time. I just got some knee butts. He has a broken rib, a deep cut in his mouth and could not even walk after the fight. I hit him twice as much, but the UFC judges analyzed some different aspects that I don’t really understand. I’m very upset. Actually, I cannot consider my last fight a loss.”

Rua laid no blame at Machida’s feet, reaffirming his admiration for the champion.

“He is a very nice guy, and I respect him a lot,” he said. “He doesn’t have any fault in what happened -- only the judges who saw a different fight from everybody.”

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/shogun ... dges-20621

Looking for a seedbox? RuTorrent, qbitTorrent, Deluge and Transmission included in all packages! Unlimited torrents, unlimited transfers!
Perfect for both beginners and professionals. Watch the files directly in your browser without downloading or download to your device, up to you!

Really Fast 1 Gbit seedboxes - Professional support 24/7/365 - Click to learn more
To get a recurring 10% discount on all seedbox packages use the PROMO CODE: mmatorrents

Post subject: Re: ‘Shogun’ Unleashes Disappointment at Judges
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:57 pm 
Special

He is so right, the whole world thinks he won, and I was really disappointed by the judges decisions.

..::UFC Fight For The Troops 2 Competition Winner::..
..::UFC 113 Competition Winner::..
..::UFC 119 Competition Winner::..

Post subject: Re: ‘Shogun’ Unleashes Disappointment at Judges
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:24 am 
Site Admin

I must say that my whole attitude towards UFC got deeply affected by that fight.

I have not heard or read one single person, professional, amateur or fighter saying that they are thinking that machida won. Several pro analythics have broken down the fight into pieces and come to the same conclusion. I did it myself independently of others reviews and rewatched the event frame by frame taking notes and counting points/punches/takedowns/knees/elbows etc and came to the exact same conslusion.

Maybe Machida holds the belt in that weightclass but the best fighter and the strongest contestant is in both Dana Whites(!), the fans, the fighters, the press and the trainers eyes is without doubt Shogun Rua.

I think that Machida is right when he sais that the judges decided that he won and therefor he should get the win, but in my mind it fits poorly to his claimed classic oriental martial arts education. Imagine Mr. Miagi to use a fun example but still pretty accurate, do you think karate Kids trainer mr. miagi would accept that win or would he refere to ancient believes that its not about winning a belt but to show respect and humbleness and win fairly. I think most martial arts with the possible exception of american wrestling and possibly some modern forms of MMA training, but almost without exceptions all oriental martial arts have a strong philosophy about honesty and respect. And in my opinion it is a poor performance to stubbornly claim the win over an opponent that in 99.9% of the fans views outclassed you and made you break both bones and face, booing you and doubting your win. It is more the manners of a spoiled richmans son and not the Machida I was expecting.

I have a lot of confidence in Shogun now. I knew from Pride that he was very good. An old MMA fanatic friend assured me that SHogun was one of the stongest and best fighters and would become a big star in UFC again already over a year ago so I have been following him closely. Off course he dissapointed in his first fights. But it was very clear that he had both problems with his double knee resurection and ringrust from not fighting a lot during that time. He must surely also have been nervous aout coming to UFC for the first time. Coming to a new country not knowing anything about his future and feeling all the preassure to imprsss this new wealthy organization living and working far away from friends and family. It was great to see him get back more and more to his old self and in the last fights he is starting to look a little more like the headstomping and wreckless thaiboxing genius that he is, with an excellent arsenal of BJJ of really high class. If he would ever get back to his old self and start fighting like he did in pride he will be a much more interesting and dynamic fighter then Lyoto Mahida.

I do like Lyoto a lot, but sometimes I feel like he should get of his high horses and be more humble, even if that may sound strange..

Looking for a seedbox? RuTorrent, qbitTorrent, Deluge and Transmission included in all packages! Unlimited torrents, unlimited transfers!
Perfect for both beginners and professionals. Watch the files directly in your browser without downloading or download to your device, up to you!

Really Fast 1 Gbit seedboxes - Professional support 24/7/365 - Click to learn more
To get a recurring 10% discount on all seedbox packages use the PROMO CODE: mmatorrents

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]