Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 10:37 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Jerry Millen: Fedor Emelianenko is not dodging Brock Lesnar
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:03 pm 
Special

Quote:
Business negotiations are always a complex matter.

Business negotiations between the UFC and M-1 Global have at times bordered on bizarre.

But while the two companies recently failed once again to come together and bring Fedor Emelianenko, the world's top heavyweight, to the UFC, the world's top MMA promotion, M-1 Global exec Jerry Millen wants to make one thing perfectly clear: Emelianenko is not dodging UFC champ Brock Lesnar.

"I've been reading a lot of this with people saying, 'Fedor's dodging Brock Lesnar,' that kind of stuff," Millen told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) late Wednesday night. "That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. At the end of the day, Fedor will fight anybody. The terms just have to be fair."

The terms, or rather term – co-promotion between the UFC and M-1 Global – has, at least for now, made this fantasy matchup just that. But Millen is appalled by some of the recent suggestions that Emelianenko and M-1 Global turned down the deal simply because they were afraid of the hulking former professional wrestler.

"Does anybody honestly think that Fedor Emelianenko would dodge Brock Lesnar?" Millen asked. "What does he have – is it five MMA fights now? He's got five MMA fights. At the end of the day, he's more of a pro wrestler than he is an MMA fighter.

"Not to take anything away from [Lesnar], but you've got to remember the UFC manufactured his rise to the top. They gave him a title shot so far ahead of other guys that might have deserved a title shot that if I was some of the heavyweights in the UFC, I'd be upset."

Millen said he does respect Lesnar's abilities; he simply doesn't feel they're on Emelianenko's level.

"Did Brock Lesnar really deserve a title shot?" Millen asked. "Is he a great fighter? Sure. I think he's doing great. But he's got a lot of room for improvement. At the end of the day, Fedor's not ducking anybody."

Money vs. Respect

So if M-1 Global isn't concerned about Emelianenko's chances for success in the UFC, why were company officials unwilling to accept what they concede was a generous offer from UFC president Dana White for "The Last Emperor's" services?

"It boils down to respect," Millen said. "(M-1 Global president) Vadim (Finkelchtein) has been doing MMA for a long time, and he wants the M-1 brand to grow, for profit or for loss. We're in a co-promotion for Strikeforce as a co-promotion. If it makes a profit, great, we all make a profit. If it makes a loss, we share in that loss.

"It's not about the money. If it's about the money, then you take the sure money, and you take it and say, 'This money is a payday that we're going to get, guaranteed, and let's take this payday. There may even be some bonus structures, and it's going to make it a bigger payday.' Or do we take this risk on a co-promotion? Then we can build something."

Millen admits M-1 Global officials have been put off by White's derogatory comments toward them and Emelianenko, as well as the UFC exec's flip-flopping position on the Russian heavyweight's fighting abilities.

"At the end of the day, it's not about money if you really think about it," Millen said. "You can take a guaranteed figure that's probably pretty good. You're going to know at the end of the day what you're going to get. But if you want to grow your company and get the respect that you deserve?

"One minute Dana's saying, 'Fedor is irrelevant; [expletive] him,' and then the next day he's like, 'Oh, he's the greatest fighter in the world, I want him,'" Millen said. "Now he's back to, 'This guy sucks.' So he can't make his mind up. You see what I'm saying? If he doesn't get his way, it's either his way or no way. That's what it boils down to. [M-1 Global] just wants to work somewhere where it's fair."

Who's calling the shots?

Much has been made regarding Emelinanko's relative silence throughout the negotiations. Several observers have drawn the conclusion that Emelianenko is either blissfully unaware of the tension between the two parties or simply a pawn in Finkelchtein's master plan for M-1 Global.

Millen insists that neither scenario could be further from the truth.

"Fedor is part owner in M-1, and Fedor has complete faith in Vadim," Millen said. "Fedor was there in negotiations with the UFC, and he knows exactly what was offered, what was going on.

"Fedor has a big say in what happens to Fedor. Make no mistake, he wants what is best for Fedor, the people around him, his family at M-1, and his personal family. Fedor understands everything that's going on, and he's completely down with it."

Understanding is one thing. But does the heavyweight wield the same power outside of the ring that he does between the ropes? Could Emelianenko make the call on his own to fight in the UFC?

"I believe he could," Millen said. "Vadim and Fedor have a great relationship. It's not manager-fighter. They have a very close, personal relationship.

"I think I'm a pretty good judge of character, and Vadim truly cares about Fedor. I feel like he's really looked out for him, and Fedor respects Vadim. Vadim doesn't manage 100 fighters. Vadim takes care of M-1, has the Red Devil Sport Club, tries to get some younger fighters going, and he has Fedor. I think he has Fedor's best interests at heart. I really do."

Emelianenko and those around him have repeatedly claimed that the one motivating factor that governs all of their decisions is the desire for competition. So does Emelianenko not believe the sport's best competition resides in the octagon?

"Is the best competition in the UFC?" Millen asked. "I don't know. Any given day, anyone can be the best competition. Do I think Brock Lesnar is the best competition for Fedor right now? I don't know. Is he? He's only had five MMA fights.

"There might be another guy out there that deserves to fight Fedor – maybe a guy that's been fighting 10 years that has 20 fights, 30 fights under his belt. Maybe he deserves a shot. Why does Brock Lesnar deserve that shot just because he's champion of the UFC?"

And what about Emelianenko's legacy as potentially the greatest fighter in the history of the modern game?

"I guess that's something that you have to ask Fedor," Millen said. "I can't speak for Fedor, but I can tell you what I think. I think Fedor's already proven his legacy. I was at all of his fights in PRIDE, and I no-doubt saw the best fighter in the world perform."

Door open for UFC, but Strikeforce – and broadcast television – just fine

While it may have seemed the UFC and M-1 Global were within inches of finally bridging the gap between the two companies, in the end it seems the two parties are no closer to reaching an agreement than before.

And while the world may still hold out hope for a compromise, Millen said M-1 Global executives are pleased with their decision to work with Strikeforce.

"I think that teaming up with Strikeforce is a great opportunity for M-1 Global, for Strikeforce, and I think it's a great opportunity for MMA fans," Millen said. "Broadcast television, Showtime, CBS – it's just going to open up to a huge platform.

"I keep saying this: Look what CBS did for 'Kimbo Slice.' Imagine what this platform could do for a true MMA fighter like Fedor. It will blow the sport up even more. I'm excited. I think it's great for the fans."

And if mixed martial arts (and UFC) fans hope to see Emelianenko in the world's biggest MMA promotion, Millen suggests they use a bit of the same tactics that motivated White to substitute Vitor Belfort for Dan Henderson in the main event for September's UFC 103.

"If the fans want to see a Brock Lesnar fight, hey, all they have to do is keep pressure on Dana," Millen said. "Do a co-promotion. They do it in boxing every day.

"We feel we have the best fighter in the world. You feel you have the best fighter in the world. Let's throw them in the cage, and let's see who the best fighter is."

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15746/m-1-glo ... lesnar.mma

Post subject: Re: Jerry Millen: Fedor Emelianenko is not dodging Brock Lesnar
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:04 pm 
Special

*yawn*

"We have Fedor... Fedor is #1... Brock is a pro-wrestler LOLOL... UFC in unfair... we just want what's fair... Fedor has complete faith in Fink..."

Same shit, different article. Just move on, already. People will reflect on it however they'd like, regardless of how many times M-1 says something, or how many times Dana White says something.

Besides, TITO ORTIZ is back. That's the big news.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:00 pm 
Special

I can respect his decision and see it for what it is, we will see him for free now on showtime and CBS that cant be bad at all.

I kinda agree with what they said about White, when Randy wanted Fedor he wouldnt let it happen.

Rampage was shit, Wanderlei was shit, everyone who Dana wanted was "shit" till he signed them and then they were the best because they were UFC branded, its Dana White with his promoters cap on.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:23 pm 
Special

When did Dana ever badmouth Wandy and Rampage?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:29 am 
Special

Lol before he signed them....

You obviously dont know classic Dana White

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:15 am 
Special

Funny, because I remember PRIDE and UFC wanting to put together Chuck vs. Wandy, and Dana White buying an entire promotion just to get Rampage's contract.

Certainly, those efforts wouldn't be made for guys who didn't matter, and Dana specifically complimented Rampage during the 2003 GP.

Unless you have some quotes to substantiate your claim, it's pretty weak.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]