Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:53 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: After failed test, UFC's Alistair Overeem blames prescribed medication for high T/E ratio
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:56 pm 
Special

Alistair Overeem claims a doctor-prescribed medication for a rib injury caused him to fail a recent drug test due to an elevated testosterone-to-epitestosterone (T/E) ratio.

Overeem today released a statement to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) and other outlets ahead of his Tuesday's hearing with the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

Overeem, who failed the test after having a 14-to-1 T/E ratio (well over the 6-to-1 limit), recently was replaced in next month's UFC 146 main event with heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos, though he claims he withdrew.

UFC president Dana White announced on Friday that ex-champ Frank Mir (16-5 MMA, 14-5 UFC) replaced Overeem (36-11 MMA, 1-0 UFC) in the May 26 title fight with Dos Santos (14-1 MMA, 8-0 UFC), which airs live on pay-per-view from MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Overeem's surprise drug test was conducted on March 27 following a event-kickoff press conference in Las Vegas. According to the fighter, he didn't know his prescribed medication was mixed with testosterone, and he plans to argue as much as Tuesday's hearing.

Overeem's full statement, which his management team at Authentic Sports Management provided, includes:

Quote:
I am deeply saddened to announce that on Friday, April 20, I respectfully withdrew from the May 26 event so that I can request a continuance until my situation with the Nevada State Athletic Commission is resolved.

I cannot express how sorry I am to the Commission, Junior Dos Santos, the fans, the owners and employees of the UFC, my friends and family and anyone else who this has affected.

I absolutely do not believe in, nor do I use performance-enhancing drugs. I am a clean fighter and I will do whatever it takes to prove this to everyone.

Prior to the UFC 146 press conference in March, I aggravated an old rib injury on my left side. My doctor prescribed, and I accepted, an anti-inflammatory medication that was mixed with testosterone. I was completely unaware that testosterone was one of the ingredients in the medication. Although I was unaware, I do realize it is my job to know what I am putting into my body.

I respect the Nevada Commissioners and Executive Director Keith Kizer and what they are doing to keep the sport of mixed martial arts regulated and safe for athletes. I look forward to working with them in the days and weeks ahead.

Friends and fans, I ask for your patience as I work through this matter. Please support me. I promise to return to the Octagon soon.

Because Overeem is not currently licensed, he does not face an immediate suspension and/or fine. However, the NSAC could deny his license or sanction him in other ways.

The NSAC issued a condition license to Overeem in late 2011 to fight Brock Lesnar at UFC 141.

After missing a pre-fight drug test for that December event, Overeem's fight with Lesnar was contingent on undergoing additional drug testing. During an NSAC hearing in December, he said he had missed the test while flying to Holland to care for his ailing mother. Concerns over the missed drug test and efforts to get him tested in his native country led the commission to issue a conditional license in which he was required to submit to two pre-fight tests, a fight-night test, and two random tests within six months of the fight. The license expired on Dec. 31.

The UFC 146 pre-fight test this past month was one of Overeem's two random tests. The former Strikeforce champion was among six top-billed fighters who were tested for the all-heavyweight PPV card. All other fighters tested clean for performance-enhancing drugs and drugs of abuse.

MMAjunkie.com will be on scene and reporting live from Tuesday's NSAC hearing with Overeem.

Source: After failed test, UFC's Alistair Overeem blames prescribed medication for high T/E ratio

Post subject: Re: After failed test, UFC's Alistair Overeem blames prescribed medication for high T/E ratio
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:54 pm 
Special

How i sincerely want to beleive all of the petifull excuses....

..::UFC Fight For The Troops 2 Competition Winner::..
..::UFC 113 Competition Winner::..
..::UFC 119 Competition Winner::..

Post subject: Re: After failed test, UFC's Alistair Overeem blames prescribed medication for high T/E ratio
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:00 pm 
Special

ctc wrote:

Pretty much what I said to myself, he could have used that excuse weeks ago, so why now?- weird timing for sure, just before appearing in the hearing tomorrow. Truth is that I always maintained the belief that a man is innocent till proven guilty, despite all indications of steroids use in his physique in past fights. I was looking forward to that fight too - I'm just more disappointed than mad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:46 pm 
Special

NiN505 wrote:
My doctor prescribed, and I accepted, an anti-inflammatory medication that was mixed with testosterone.

Riiiiiight....

..::UFC 131 - Dos Santos vs. Carwin Competition Winner::..
..::UFC 118 - Edgar vs. Penn 2 Competition Winner::..
..::UFC 121 - Lesnar vs Velasquez Competition Winner::..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:26 pm 
Special

Like a 27-inch Zenith - believe it :!: :!: :!:
:)) =)) :ymdevil:

..::UFC 110 Competition Winner::..
..::Strikeforce Challengers 9 Winner::..

CAIN VELASQUEZ Wins By Ground & Pound Leaves Brock Lesnar With Tunnel Butt!!!

TOP 13 FIGHTERS
Rousimar Palhares
Chan Sung Jung
Mariusz Pudzianowski
Ryo Chonan
Tito Ortiz
Kazuyuki Fujita
Phil Baroni
Kimbo Slice
Mark Kerr
Charles Bennett
Mikey Burnett
Paulo Filho

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:26 am 
Special

hahhahahaha at post above.

I cant swallow this i m afraid next it will be "the horse meat i ate must have been full of trt.."

I m truly disappointed and i hate abuse of trt and peds in our wonderful sport.

..::UFC on Fuel TV 2 Gustafsson vs. Silva Competition Winner::..
..::Strikeforce - Diaz vs. Cyborg Competition Winner::..
..::UFC Fight For The Troops 2 Competition Winner::..
..::Strikeforce Nashville Competition Winner::..
..::Strikeforce Challengers 9 Winner::..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:11 am 
Site Admin

ctc wrote:

:mrgreen: I think we all feel that way...

I am really sad hat it had to be this fight but I think that in a way this is good and I hope they continue doing more tests more often.

The way I see it for the sport to be fair either everybody must take steroids / TRT/ hormones or nobody at all. And I am pretty sure that everybody taking steroids would ruin the sport, being allowed / legal or not. Nobody wants to watch a human chemistry contest in the cage. So naturally I am against them and hope that they setup many good ways to prevent and protect the sport against it.

Looking for a seedbox? RuTorrent, qbitTorrent, Deluge and Transmission included in all packages! Unlimited torrents, unlimited transfers!
Perfect for both beginners and professionals. Watch the files directly in your browser without downloading or download to your device, up to you!

Really Fast 1 Gbit seedboxes - Professional support 24/7/365 - Click to learn more
To get a recurring 10% discount on all seedbox packages use the PROMO CODE: mmatorrents

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:09 pm 
Special

Dent wrote:
ctc wrote:

:mrgreen: I think we all feel that way...

I am really sad hat it had to be this fight but I think that in a way this is good and I hope they continue doing more tests more often.

The way I see it for the sport to be fair either everybody must take steroids / TRT/ hormones or nobody at all. And I am pretty sure that everybody taking steroids would ruin the sport, being allowed / legal or not. Nobody wants to watch a human chemistry contest in the cage. So naturally I am against them and hope that they setup many good ways to prevent and protect the sport against it.

I agree and I disagree on some points.
While I am generally against the use of anabolic steroids - it is a grey area. First off I believe in the general sense of things is that science as a whole is benefitting sports. For the typical athlete you need to take supplements in order to recover especially for a long training camp. Without those the standard of training and level of the sport will diminish. Hence the presence of supplements which are legal but do mimmick the effects of steroids without the same effects. I myself believe if we establish better guidelines and regulate the sport than I would be all for it. Adjusting your levels of hormones permit that. But then again it would be too hard to go through this. Also if you think of it how bad would the sport look if we allow steroid use from the general population, very bad I'd say. The use of steroids in sports has always been in the grey area and always will be.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]