Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:29 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Marcus Davis returns to Hub a new man
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:11 pm 
Special

It was 16 years ago when a 21-year-old Marcus Davis got a chance to live a dream and box in the illustrious Boston Garden.

Aired on ESPN, the event was the last boxing show ever held in the Garden. Davis knocked out Joe LaRoux in the second round.

He’ll get to fight in the first-ever mixed martial arts event at TD Garden as well. The 37-year-old takes on Nate Diaz at UFC 118 Saturday, coming full circle not only as a fighter, but as a person.

“I’ve changed a lot,” Davis said.

The fight with LaRoux was only the beginning of what Davis calls a roller-coaster ride. He boxed until 2000, when he took his management to court to get out of his contract. The taste in his mouth from the sport was so bitter he decided to quit the fight game all together.

Davis went back to Maine and began managing night clubs before he had his first MMA fight in 2003.

“After I put somebody in a coma and beat somebody up and he lost his kidney, we decided it was best for me to not be running night clubs,” Davis said.

Moving back home to Bangor, Maine, Davis sent in a videotape to be on the second season of “The Ultimate Fighter.” Living in the loft of a barn/garage with an old Army sniper, he was divorced twice, didn’t have custody of his children and was an alcoholic.

Nearly six years later, he’s done a complete 180.

“I quit drinking cold turkey and picked up my pieces,” Davis said. “Now I’m back with my second ex-wife. All my children live with me other than my 20-year-old who lives on her own. They’re all in private school. I own a home and have two businesses in Maine. Life is really good.”

Davis’ mindset changed from thinking he could just box people and try to avoid the takedown thanks to trainer Mark DellaGrotte - of the Somerville gym Sityodtong - and best friend Jorge Gurgel, whom he met on TUF 2. Today, Davis (17-6) knows what it takes to be a true mixed martial artist, and hasn’t been submitted in six years. He’s even working on a book with Erich Krauss.

Back in 1994 when Davis fought in the Garden, he said he felt surprisingly calm. Living on the Cambridge-Somerville line at the time, he remembers the energy being through the roof as he got introduced to the crowd by Michael Buffer - brother of UFC announcer Bruce. He only hopes the same magic will trickle through when he takes on Diaz.

“The energy and stuff, I just remember that night in particular I was very focused,” Davis said. “It reminded me of the time I fought Chris Lytle in Dublin. I had the flu, I was really sick, but I was focused and it got me through. I’m hoping I can recreate that.”

http://mmaanalysed.com/index.php?option ... c&Itemid=2

“He who attacks must vanquish. He who defends must merely survive. "

Post subject: Re: Marcus Davis returns to Hub a new man
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

Its gonna be a heck of a fight :) Cant wait. Davis always brings it, and Nate Diaz is an interesting fighter, very similar fight style as his brother. It will be interesting to see Davis gameplan. I expect a standup war.

Looking for a seedbox? RuTorrent, qbitTorrent, Deluge and Transmission included in all packages! Unlimited torrents, unlimited transfers!
Perfect for both beginners and professionals. Watch the files directly in your browser without downloading or download to your device, up to you!

Really Fast 1 Gbit seedboxes - Professional support 24/7/365 - Click to learn more
To get a recurring 10% discount on all seedbox packages use the PROMO CODE: mmatorrents

Post subject: Re: Marcus Davis returns to Hub a new man
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:34 am 
Special

Yeah I'm really looking forward to this fight. Nate Diaz looked great in his last fight against Rory Markham; reminded me alot of Nick in that fight the way he was punching.

I will be interested to see how they go on the feet, and we all know who has the advantage if it goes to the ground.

The betting sites have Nate as the favourite. They actually have him as a bigger favourite than Kenny beating Maynard.

“He who attacks must vanquish. He who defends must merely survive. "

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]