Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:58 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: PENN CONSIDERING MOVE TO 170 FOLLOWING UFC 112
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:58 pm 
Site Admin

Each time B.J. Penn prepares to defend his Ultimate Fighting Championship lightweight belt, the question arises: with a win, will he return to the welterweight division where he once held the title?

Penn takes on Frankie Edgar in the co-main event of UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi on April 10, and if the Hawaiian comes away with the win, a move to the 170-pound division is something he’s considering.

“If everything goes well on April 10, I definitely would consider moving up to 170. Not that I’m – not that it’s 100-percent guaranteed,” Penn said recently.

“If I do make that move I’m going to move slow. I’m not going to try to rush anything,” he added. “Maybe I would think about it more as testing the waters. I’d talk to Dana and see if he would want me to vacate the belt, but maybe try do something like Anderson (Silva) is doing, test the waters, see how everything is going and see how everything plays out.”

Penn is the only one who knows whether or not he’s already made up his mind to vacate the lightweight division after UFC 112, but his statements seem to foreshadow a move up in weight class.

“I try to just be true to myself and what my own personal goals are. And if I feel in my life that I want to try to take a fight at 170 pounds, I’ve got to stay true to myself and to my motivation,” commented Penn.

“I think a fighter has to stay true to himself and what his goals and accomplishments are, what really motivates him,” added the 31-year-old athlete. “I’ve been the welterweight champion once and in a lot of ways I really wouldn’t mind being the welterweight champion again. And I think it’s just a fun thing to do.”

Penn defeated Matt Hughes at UFC 46, snapping Hughes’ 13-fight win streak to capture the welterweight title. He briefly left the UFC to compete internationally in several different weight classes including heavyweight. He’s 1-3 as a welterweight, losing twice to current titleholder Georges St-Pierre, and losing a rematch to Hughes. He does hold dominating wins over former welterweight contenders Sean Sherk and Diego Sanchez, but in lightweight fights.

Twice Penn has gotten immediate title shots in the welterweight division, at UFC 46 against Hughes and at UFC 94 versus St-Pierre. If he makes the transition following UFC 112, he knows it won’t be for the title bout.

“I had my chance to go straight for the championship and things didn’t work out my way. Of course, anybody would like a free shot for the title. But like I said, I want to take my time. I want to test the waters,” said the lightweight champion. “And it’s exactly what Anderson said, we just want to put on some other great fights.

“There’s some top contenders in the welterweight division, of course there is a champion, and there’s other people. There’s Matt Hughes. There’s a bunch of different fights out there,” added Penn. “That’s what this whole thing is about is about, putting on the biggest and the greatest fights in history.”

Source: http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/tem ... &zoneid=13

Looking for a seedbox? RuTorrent, qbitTorrent, Deluge and Transmission included in all packages! Unlimited torrents, unlimited transfers!
Perfect for both beginners and professionals. Watch the files directly in your browser without downloading or download to your device, up to you!

Really Fast 1 Gbit seedboxes - Professional support 24/7/365 - Click to learn more
To get a recurring 10% discount on all seedbox packages use the PROMO CODE: mmatorrents

Post subject: Re: PENN CONSIDERING MOVE TO 170 FOLLOWING UFC 112
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:35 pm 
Special

That would certainly make things interesting. That would make the lightweight division a lot less interesting IMO.

..::Strikeforce - Fedor vs. Werdum Competition Winner::..

Favorite Fighters:
Alistair Overeem, Kenny Florian, KJ Noons, Miguel Torres, Brian Stann, Donald Cerrone, Carlos Condit, Shane Carwin.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:45 pm 
Special

Not so sure about that. Remove Penn from the equation and there are a bunch of LWs in the UFC good enough to hold the belt. Would be a lot of fun seeing them all squabble over the belt for a while.

I think that many would say he would need to beat Gray Maynard in order to clean out the division and then move to WW permanently, but testing the waters at WW while still defending the LW belt works best anyway, I think. I mean, he's already been beaten by GSP twice, so unless GSP moves to MW I don't see Penn making a permanent switch, as it's not so nice to be the almost-champ in one division as opposed to being the all-time champ in another.

..::UFC 108 Competition Winner::..

..::Strikeforce Carrano vs. Cyborg Competition Winner::..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:04 am 
Special

Yeah I don't think there is much point in him moving up as he will never be able to beat GSP. I agree that if he did move up the LW belt would be a hot potato like the LHW division.

“He who attacks must vanquish. He who defends must merely survive. "

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:15 pm 
Site Admin

Shoemaker, stick to your last.

Looking for a seedbox? RuTorrent, qbitTorrent, Deluge and Transmission included in all packages! Unlimited torrents, unlimited transfers!
Perfect for both beginners and professionals. Watch the files directly in your browser without downloading or download to your device, up to you!

Really Fast 1 Gbit seedboxes - Professional support 24/7/365 - Click to learn more
To get a recurring 10% discount on all seedbox packages use the PROMO CODE: mmatorrents

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:29 am 
Special

It is nice to be the best but eventually you just get lazy and unfocussed because you know by heart there is no challenge. From that point of view I can imagine a fighter switching to another weight class after beating most/all contenders. You never know what will happen when you face a new challenge. You can surprise people or you can be knocked out.

It is basically like a Rocky movie, you will lose the Eye of the Tiger once you are the best for a while so you need to do something to get it back :)

..::Strikeforce Henderson vs. Babalu II Competition Winner::..
..::UFC 119 Competition Winner::..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:20 am 
Site Admin

Hey first he has to beat Edgars and Im not so sure it will be easy. Edgar is always underestimated, in UFC he has won 6 of 7 bouts and hes been around for a while now. Apart from a loss to Grey maynard he has not been defeated in the cage.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:50 am 

I think it depends on what he wants,

does he want the title? or does he just want to beat GSP?

In my mind with 2 losses against GSP he has to fight a contender and earn the right at 170lbs,

do you think he can beat - Jon Fitch
- josh koscheck
- Thiago Alves
- Dan Hardy
- Paulo Thiago

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:09 am 
Special

Totally agree with fazpunk, he'd have to some big dudes to climb over. Especially Thiago Alves who walks at what like 220lbs and drops to get to 170. I love BJ Penn however I think it's best for him to remain the king of the LWs.

..::Dream.18 & Glory 4 ~ Special 2012 Competition Winner::..
..::UFC on Fox 5 Henderson vs. Diaz Competition Winner::..
..::UFC on FX 3: Johnson vs. McCall Competition Winner::..
..::UFC Fight Night 21 Competition Winner::..
..::UFC 120 Bisping vs. Akiyama Competition Winner::..
..::WEC 49 - Varner vs Shalorus Winner::..

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]