Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:47 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Overeem Not Worried by Rogers, Wants Fedor
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:41 pm 
Special

Alistair Overeem has a hit list and after he puts away Brett Rogers, he has his sights set on only one fighter: Fedor Emelianenko.

With Overeem just days away from his first title defense of the Strikeforce heavyweight belt, the Dutch fighter respects the opponent he's about to face on May 15, but doesn't see much struggle in getting past him.

Once he is past him, Overeem says Fedor and his management team have no excuses left and must face him and settle it in the cage once and for all.

As for Brett Rogers getting a shot at his title, he simply says they pay me to fight, and that's what I'm going to do.

"I am a pro fighter. I have signed several contracts through my management with different promoters and I fight if the price is right. I would have wanted to fight against Fedor, but I guess his management has other ‘priorities’ for him," said Overeem in an interview with MMAWeekly.com "So I will prove to the world after I win against Rogers that Fedor must accept the fight with me."

What is the ultimate hold-up in Overeem facing Fedor? Is it Strikeforce? Is it Fedor himself? Overeem chalks it up to one word.

"Politics," Overeem answered. "I am the current champion, but the management of Fedor said no."

Overeem went on to explain the backtalk and harsh words that came from Fedor's manager, Vadim Finkelstein, and that when he beats Rogers they will have no choice but to sign for the fight that he's been requesting for over a year.

"This Vadim guy apologized to me. First Vadim said he did not say those things he said about me then some reporter from sports.ru taped the conversation and brought the tape out in the open," Overeem revealed. "It made him look like a fool and he apologized.

"It says something about the level of management. Fedor proved himself as the best, but he has not been really fighting a lot in the last years because of bad management. I have fighting rhythm and got stronger and competed also in the best stand-up league in the world and got a third place at the WGP K-1 finals in 2009, something Fedor never did."

After the fight with Rogers, Overeem hopes to compete in Strikeforce at least two more times this year, but will also fight for K-1 at the end of September and December in their tournament.

And while the Dutch wrecking machine understands that Rogers does pose danger to him, like any fighter in MMA, he also knows that he has the perfect weapons to dispose of Fedor Emelianenko and that's his final goal.

"He is big and has a strong punch, but I have fought way better and stronger opponents than him. I do not see much problems for me in this fight," Overeem said about Rogers. "(Fedor) is the name to beat and I am the chosen one who can do this."

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/tem ... 3&zoneid=2

“He who attacks must vanquish. He who defends must merely survive. "

Post subject: Re: Overeem Not Worried by Rogers, Wants Fedor
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:03 am 
Special

Overeem is a great fighter and he has probably the strength and qualities to be one of the best, but so far he has not been fighting a lot in MMA. I did see him get knocked out in the K-1 finals.

I hope he will beat Brett and that he will impress the world because a good fighter from Holland also brings publicity to our country and I would not mind seeing him fight Fedor, but I also think that Overeem might have some weaknesses still. Probably his ground game is one of them.

One thing is for sure, when he can do the clinch and start throwing knees and such he is one of the best to knock people out. This is not really allowed in K-1 (only one action after the clinch I believe) and probably that is why he did not win it.

Probably he does need to choose between k-1 and SF eventually so he can focus more on improving his skills and perhaps be a champion for a longer period. I do agree that Fedor also seems to be hiding too much and many people might even think Fedor is the champion so if Overeem does beat Rogers and Fedor wins his fight there must be a tittle fight between the two to decide once and for all if Fedor is indeed the best or that he can be defeated too.

I guess Dana would not mind if Fedor would lose when they do fight. Then he can say that he was right all the time and that Fedor isn't the best :D

..::Strikeforce Henderson vs. Babalu II Competition Winner::..
..::UFC 119 Competition Winner::..

Post subject: Re: Overeem Not Worried by Rogers, Wants Fedor
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:54 am 
Special

Yea I pick Overeem in this fight, much better technique and speed on the ground and on the feet, and I think that their conditioning is simmilair.
And good to see another dutch person on these forums, and we aren't the only 2, man Those 16 million dutch are all over the internet.
I estimate 1/7th of all internet users to be dutch :mrgreen: .
And...Übereem is the man!

..::The Ultimate Fighter 15 Finale Competition Winner::..
..::UFC Live Kongo Vs. Barry Competition Winner::..
..::UFC 130 - Rampage vs. Hamill Competition Winner::..
..::WEC 48 - Aldo vs. Faber Winner::..
..::WEC 49 - Varner vs Shalorus Winner::..
..::UFC 113 Competition Winner::..
..::UFC 119 Competition Winner::..
Favourite .. FIGHTer: Chan Sung Jung
Best looking FIGHTer: Michelle Waterson
Best retired FIGHTer: Bas Rutten
Best P4P ... FIGHTer: Anderson The Spider Silva!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]