Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:44 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: Roy Nelson "I think I’m supposed to be fighting Frank Mir"
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:53 am 
Site Admin

With a fight rumored for UFC 116 against the towering Cheick Kongo, The Ultimate Fighter Season 10 champion Roy Nelson (15-4 MMA, 2-0 UFC) recently paid a visit to the island of Oahu to corner a few of his students from his school including former TUF housemate Scott Junk (6-2-1 MMA) at the inaugural “Galaxy MMA: Worlds Collide” event on May 1 from the Neal S. Blaisdell arena in Honolulu, Hawaii.

FiveOuncesofPain.com had the chance to sit down with “Big Country” during the event’s press conference to discuss his training partner, and his upcoming bout.

During the filming of TUF season 10, Roy Nelson and Scott Junk developed a friendship that would carry on after the show. Looking to improve as a fighter, Junk enlisted the help of Nelson and took a trip to The Country Club in Las Vegas to work with Big Country.

“Scott just wanted to up his game,” said Nelson, who went on to say that he felt he ‘could help improve Junk’s fundamentals…and make his game a little bit better.’

When asked if Junk sought out Nelson’s help because Big Country owns a previous TKO victory when they faced each other in the IFL, Nelson replied, “It just happens that he [Junk] is fighting Fabiano…it’s just a coincidence.”

When speaking about his rumored upcoming fight with Cheick Kongo at UFC 116 on July 3rd, Nelson was quick to respond, “I believe that is still part of the rumor mill, cause I think I‘m supposed to be fighting Frank Mir too.”

Nelson went on to jokingly say, “I think I might fight them all in the same day.”

While he believes that he is more likely to face Mir, nothing is official. That said Nelson has started formulating a game plan for both Kongo and Mir.

When speaking about Kongo, Nelson stated that, “He’s right in the mix…he’s a tough guy, but the one thing he has lacked in the past is his wrestling.”

Nelson went on to say, “I’m hopin’ I get the best Cheick Kongo that I’ve ever seen; if that’s the fight I fight.”

Presuming that Nelson does fight Kongo on July 3rd, the question was posed whether he felt obligated to have a “patriotic” cage entrance since he would be somewhat representing the USA against a Frenchman the day before the Nation’s birthday.

“I think maybe I might come in to the Star Spangled Banner, but I can always fall back to Weird Al… you know I’m Fat,’ said Nelson.

Nelson will be on the island for another week, relaxing and taking a break before heading home to Las Vegas to start training. Against who is anyone’s guess.

Source: http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2010/05/01/ ... frank-mir/

Looking for a seedbox? RuTorrent, qbitTorrent, Deluge and Transmission included in all packages! Unlimited torrents, unlimited transfers!
Perfect for both beginners and professionals. Watch the files directly in your browser without downloading or download to your device, up to you!

Really Fast 1 Gbit seedboxes - Professional support 24/7/365 - Click to learn more
To get a recurring 10% discount on all seedbox packages use the PROMO CODE: mmatorrents

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]