Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:28 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: FORMER WEC CHAMP HERMES FRANCA CALLS IT QUITS
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

UFC veteran and former WEC lightweight champion Hermes Franca on Friday night announced his retirement from mixed martial arts. His decision comes on the heels of a loss via TKO to Eric Wisely at MaxFightsDM: Ballroom Brawl IV in Des Moines, Iowa.

His manager, Reed Wallace of White Chocolate Management, informed MMAWeekly.com of his fighter's decision late Friday night.

The loss was Franca's fourth in his last five outings. Three of those losses were in the UFC to Sean Sherk, Frankie Edgar, and Tyson Griffin.

“The fans gave me the passion and strength that kept me competing at the championship levels for all these years. Without them, I couldn't have done it.
I owe it all to the fans,” said Franca, while indicating that his body just can't keep up with the demands of today's elite level fighters.

From the beginning of his career, Franca continually fought the top fighters in the sport. His victories include a veritable who's who of MMA: Caol Uno, Mike Brown, Nate Diaz, Spencer Fisher, Rich Crunkilton, Jamie Varner, and Marcus Aurelio, to name but a few.

Wallace told MMAWeekly.com that the 35-year-old native of Forteleza, Brazil, native intends to rest briefly then return to training his students and fighters at his gym, East West Combat Club in Syracuse, N.Y.

Franca is looking forward to spending time with his family and developing business opportunities as he moves on to the next stage of his life.

Source: http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/tem ... &zoneid=13

Looking for a seedbox? RuTorrent, qbitTorrent, Deluge and Transmission included in all packages! Unlimited torrents, unlimited transfers!
Perfect for both beginners and professionals. Watch the files directly in your browser without downloading or download to your device, up to you!

Really Fast 1 Gbit seedboxes - Professional support 24/7/365 - Click to learn more
To get a recurring 10% discount on all seedbox packages use the PROMO CODE: mmatorrents

Post subject: Re: FORMER WEC CHAMP HERMES FRANCA CALLS IT QUITS
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:24 am 
Special

This is a good move for him. Although he wasn't one of my favorites, he certainly had my respect. But his last couple fights have shown signs of age. He's a bit slower and he (and virtually all of the "old guard" except Couture) simply doesn't train like the new breed of talent.

I would have liked to have seen WEC give him one last retirement fight. I think he has a solid enough following to warrant it and it would show the fans that WEC appreciates their fighters for more than an immediate payday.

I wish him the best.

..::Strikeforce Carrano vs. Cyborg Competition Winner::..
..::Strikeforce Challengers 9 Winner::..

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:22 pm 

I liked him too hendrix until the fight with Sonnen when he showed up like a fat lazy slob. He seemed to not make weight on purpose so he would not lose his belt.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:06 am 

I was at the event last night and Hermes looked like he was in shape, but the guy caught him hard enough to stun him, knock him down and then finished it on the ground with a TKO. The retirement doesn't surprise me. Hermes looked extremely dejected after the loss.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]