Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:52 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Dana White: I Guarantee Dan Henderson Has Been Signed by SF
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:49 am 
Site Admin

As always, Kevin Iole has what Dana White wants us to hear:

White said Wednesday, "I guarantee you 1,000 percent that Dan Henderson is signed by Strikeforce."

"Honestly, I got a call from Dan's management a couple of days ago telling me Dan had turned down the UFC's offer," Coker said. "I guess the UFC made an offer and put a deadline on it. They turned it down and were calling to talk to me, but I told him I have this huge fight and there's a tremendous amount going on and I couldn't really deal with it at this point."

White said he wanted to re-sign Henderson, but not at the price Henderson proposed. Henderson had been in the mix to fight UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva. White said he had no hard feelings toward Henderson.

"Dan and I have been friends and we will continue to be friends, but it just didn’t work out and he went to Strikeforce," White said.

Coker conceded he’d love to have Henderson under contract, but said White’s information is incorrect.

This is an interesting counter-point to the argument made in a BE diary that Dan Henderson was sitting in the catbird seat:

All of the turmoil leaves Henderson sitting pretty. He is waiting at home for the UFC to call. And if guys keep dropping like flies, they will have no choice but to give in to his demands. Henderson has the added bonus of being able to fight in two weight classes competitively. If you need to slot him in, for the right price, he is good to go.

But as I wrote a while back, Dana White is doing everything but wrapping a bow on Dan Henderson, setting him on fire and ringing Scott Coker's doorbell:

Hendo's not going to get the kind of guaranteed pay day he wants from the UFC and I doubt Strikeforce will want to pay him half a million dollars guaranteed either. He's got some value to Strikeforce as someone who could headline a Showtime against the winner of Mayhem Miller/Jake Shields or maybe against Gegard Mousasi. Maybe he could even fight Frank Shamrock or Cung Le in a match that would be booked for its promotional rather than competitive value. But I don't see that being worth $500,000 up front guaranteed to Strikeforce.

If Dan Henderson wants to start a bidding war for his services, Dana White has given notice that he won't be one of the competitors.

Dana White is clearly hoping that Scott Coker will be baited into paying huge money for Dan Henderson, much as Affliction paid a fortune for Tim Sylvia and Andrei Arlovski and he's willing to push the story in the media.

Here's a news flash for any budding media analysts out there -- if Strikeforce signs Dan Henderson, the news will come from Scott Coker or Dan Henderson, not Dana White.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/11/5/11 ... rantee-dan

Looking for a seedbox? RuTorrent, qbitTorrent, Deluge and Transmission included in all packages! Unlimited torrents, unlimited transfers!
Perfect for both beginners and professionals. Watch the files directly in your browser without downloading or download to your device, up to you!

Really Fast 1 Gbit seedboxes - Professional support 24/7/365 - Click to learn more
To get a recurring 10% discount on all seedbox packages use the PROMO CODE: mmatorrents

Post subject: Re: Dana White: I Guarantee Dan Henderson Has Been Signed by SF
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:47 am 
Special

There's no way that Coker can reasonably offer more money than Dana White, surely. Which means that Dan and his guys started flirting with strikeforce to get Dana worked up, and offer more money. Dana's not playing this game, because he KNOWS that any deal Dan get's with him is going to be better than a deal he get's at Strikeforce.

So now it's up to Dan. What's more important to him? Millions of dollars, or a fight with Anderson Silva?

..::UFC 107 Competition Winner::..
..::UFC 108 Competition Winner::..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:32 pm 
Special

With U.S. health insurance it's all about millions as you may never know if you'll need them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:01 pm 
Special

Plus, the whole point of this article is that it ISN'T a bidding war - Dan is asking for more than the UFC are willing to pay, and as such he's looking around elsewhere. It's not like they are offerring him a big deal and he's saying, "Well, hang on while I check what these others will offer me." It's not the UFC and Strikeforce in competition here, it's Dan's bank balance versus the two major American promoters.

..::Strikeforce Carrano vs. Cyborg Competition Winner::..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:26 am 
Special

Well then, either way, the choice is simple. If he wants the money, he goes with dana. If he wants the challenging fights, he goes with dana. Man up and take what Dana's offering, because it's more than Coker can reasonably manage.

..::UFC 107 Competition Winner::..

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]