Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 3:27 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: Anderson Silva's New UFC Deal Still Not Signed, but Deal Will Get Done
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:20 pm 
Special

Anderson Silva isn't going anywhere any time soon, but his new 10-fight deal with the UFC still hasn't been signed.

Reports surfaced on Wednesday after a fan Q&A with UFC President, Dana White, that he stated the middleweight icon had inked his new deal with the promotion.

On Thursday, White responded and squashed those reports, but rest assured Silva won't be competing anywhere other than the UFC Octagon.

"I said this thing's going to get done. I saw somebody write today it's a done deal. That's not what I said," White told Bleacher Report on Thursday. "The deal's going to get done, it's not signed yet."

Silva has been negotiating his new deal with the promotion for the past few months as he awaited word on his next bout. He is now signed on to face middleweight contender Chris Weidman at UFC 162.

Whether or not his new deal gets done in a short amount of time remains to be seen, but it looks like it's just a matter of a few minor points being ironed out before the company has their greatest champion ever locked down into a new long-term deal.

Silva, who just turned 38 years of age in mid-April, would probably have to fight well into his 40s to complete a 10-fight deal. As great as he's been his entire career, even White isn't sure Silva would stick around for the entire length of the contract.

"Ten fights which could end up being four years, I don't know," White answered when asked if he believed Silva would fight ten more times in his career.

As for future challenges, Silva first has to go through middleweight contender Chris Weidman at UFC 162 in July, but then there appear to be a world of options available to the long reigning champion.

Silva's name is routinely mentioned in regards to a number of superfights in the UFC including bouts against welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre and current light heavyweight title-holder Jon Jones.

There's also the middleweight division where Silva has ruled for almost seven years as champion. Even if Silva gets past Weidman, White knows there will always be another contender at 185 pounds to face the champion if he wants to keep fighting in that weight class.

"There's always going to be a guy," White stated. "There's always going to be somebody new that's next. Look how fast Johny Hendricks exploded onto the scene. Johny Hendricks is fighting here and all of a sudden Johny Hendricks starts knocking people out. There will always be a guy."

Damon Martin is a Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report and all quotes were obtained first hand unless otherwise noted.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]