Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:34 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen targeted for August in Utah
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:29 am 
Site Admin

Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen targeted for August in Utah, potentially UFC 117

While UFC president Dana White made it very clear he was unhappy with his middleweight champion, Anderson Silva, following a lackluster appearance at this past weekend's UFC 112 event in Abu Dhabi, the exec isn't hesitating to put "The Spider" back in action.

White announced today during an appearance on ESPN's "Jim Rome is Burning" that the organization was targeting a fight between Silva and top contender Chael Sonnen.

MMAjunkie.com has since confirmed the UFC is targeting Aug. 7 in Salt Lake City, marking the UFC's first-ever trip to Utah.

Additional sources close to the promotion informed MMAjunkie.com that the UFC is eyeing EnergySolutions Arena, home of the NBA's Utah Jazz, as a potential host venue for the event.

Bill Colbert, Director of the Pete Suazo Utah Athletic Commission, told MMAjunkie.com that nothing is yet set in stone, but he acknowledged that he has been in discussion with the UFC.

"We've heard the date," Colbert said. "We've been speaking to the UFC for some time and encouraging them to come to our state. We're eagerly awaiting them to make a formal announcement. But I do understand that they're having discussions with that date in mind."

While the fight would likely serve as a headliner for a pay-per-view card, making the newly announced event UFC 117, White's words in Abu Dhabi leave some doubt as to whether Silva will be slotted into a main event role or if fans will be asked to pay for the card.

"Anderson Silva might be the first champion in history fighting on a prelim," White said following UFC 112. "How do you sell Anderson Silva after tonight? How do you do it? People don't want to see that [expletive]. I don't want to see it."

White didn't offer additional details regarding the event, though he did suggest a repeat performance by the fighter he has frequently touted as the world's greatest could lead to Silva's dismissal from the organization.

Silva has been expected to face slugger Vitor Belfort at UFC 112 until a shoulder injury forced "The Phenom" out of the event. MMAjunkie.com has learned that Belfort's injury will likely keep him shelved until approximately October, this ruling out his involvement in the new card.

Meanwhile, Sonnen earned his way into the title match by virtue of a current three-fight win streak – a run capped off by a unanimous decision win over Nate Marquardt.

Sonnen has openly expressed his distaste for Silva and has promised to make good on his words.

"[Silva] is getting beaten up in 2010 by Chael Sonnen," Sonnen told MMAjunkie.com this past weekend. "That's been the story from the jump.

"There's people out there that need (to be) beaten up – he's one of them. And I have a moral obligation to society to beat him up."

Source: http://mmajunkie.com/news/18719/anderso ... fc-117.mma

Looking for a seedbox? RuTorrent, qbitTorrent, Deluge and Transmission included in all packages! Unlimited torrents, unlimited transfers!
Perfect for both beginners and professionals. Watch the files directly in your browser without downloading or download to your device, up to you!

Really Fast 1 Gbit seedboxes - Professional support 24/7/365 - Click to learn more
To get a recurring 10% discount on all seedbox packages use the PROMO CODE: mmatorrents

Post subject: Re: Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen targeted for August in Utah
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:28 am 

Yes, every fighter who deserves a title shot, deserves a good fight to let them show the champion what they're capable of.
Silva who runs away like a headless chicken is NOT a way a champion should act on his behalf.
On the other hand, I understand that Silva also wants a good fight, (Belfort for instance) but he should be blessed for the opportunity he gets in the UFC. If he disagrees with the fights that are picked for him, then why is he fighting at all in the UFC?!

I don't believe Sonnen is going to beat Silva, but what I do know is that he's going to put up a good fight! He backs what he says! Thats something lots of fighters don't do!
Unlike Thales Leites and Damian Maia I will never forget the words of Sonnen: "A republican never ends up on his back!" :lol:

GO SONNEN!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:12 pm 

v1ce wrote:
Unlike Thales Leites and Damian Maia I will never forget the words of Sonnen: "A republican never ends up on his back!" :lol:

actually in the fight Joe Rogan said that he ended up pulling guard a few times lol. I'm sick of this "classic matchup" though. BJJ/wrestling isn't Silva's weakness! If you give him Belfort or any other striker they could at least get a lucky KO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:25 am 
Special

Chael sadly doesn't possess the tools necessary to beat Anderson. Don't be hatin' on Anderson for not finishing maia. He played a very strategic game. I'm upset for no finish as well, but the first two and half rounds was a thing of beauty to watch.

..::Dream.18 & Glory 4 ~ Special 2012 Competition Winner::..
..::UFC on Fox 5 Henderson vs. Diaz Competition Winner::..
..::UFC on FX 3: Johnson vs. McCall Competition Winner::..
..::UFC Fight Night 21 Competition Winner::..
..::UFC 120 Bisping vs. Akiyama Competition Winner::..
..::WEC 49 - Varner vs Shalorus Winner::..

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]