Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:34 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Strikeforce after Big Josh and Roger Huerta
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:18 am 
Special

Strikeforce officials has been very aggressive in growing their roster ever since striking a multi-year agreement in early 2009 to provide mixed martial arts events on both Showtime and CBS. And they’re not slowing down.

Strikeforce has landed prized free agent Fedor Emelianenko, his stable mate Gegard Mousasi, former WWE star Bobby Lashley, NFL and Olympic veteran Herschel Walker, and most recently former Pride champion and UFC star Dan Henderson, among others.

Now promotion officials are in talks with two more high profile fighters in Roger Huerta and Josh Barnett.

Huerta on Thursday night posted on his Twitter account, “My manager @jeffclarkmma and I met with scott coker and Richard Chou with strikeforce on monday. So I believe this is where...”

MMAWeekly.com confirmed with independent sources that negotiations are ongoing with Huerta, but the two sides are still at a chasm over compensation. Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker has already shown, however, his expertise in landing high priced free agents with creative contracts.

Huerta (20-3-1) hasn’t fought since September of last year, when he lost a split decision to Gray Maynard. He maintains strong name recognition due to his go for broke style of fighting and G Q looks.

Barnett (24-5) has been out of the loop since failing a drug test for re-licensure in California for a scheduled bout with Fedor. He is actively pursuing an appeal, but has yet to go before the California State Athletic Commission.

“I had no reason to believe there would be any issues and went in to submit my (urine sample for testing) at the earliest possible opportunity... I never once thought there would be a problem,” Barnett said following the allegations.

"My representatives and I are working to gather as much info as possible and handle this situation as best as we can.”

Sources put Barnett in the midst of ongoing negotiations with Strikeforce, but like Huerta, the two sides have yet to reach agreement on compensation.

Barnett is currently on a four-fight winning streak, defeating Hidehiko Yoshida, Pedro Rizzo, Jeff Monson, and Gilbert Yvel.

Barnett’s signing would be a key addition to one of Strikeforce’s strongest divisions. Aside from Fedor, the Strikeforce heavyweight division already boasts champion Alistair Overeem, Fabricio Werdum, Brett Rogers, and Antonio Silva.

Strikeforce has also had talks with former UFC champion Andre Arlovski, but industry sources indicated that those talks may have stalled out. Arlovski is currently on a two-fight skid, losing to Fedor and Rogers, after a five-fight winning streak.

Also, here is a update on Roger Huerta's status:

Free agent lightweight Roger Huerta (20-3-1) hasn't found a home just yet.

Despite revealing to the world via Twitter that his manager was in talks with Strikeforce, Huerta has not yet signed on with the California-based organization.

Today i confirmed with Strikeforce director of communications Mike Afromowitz that Huerta did meet with the promotion, but an offer was not made to "El Matador."

Additionally, sources close to the fighter indicated that a "matching clause" in Huerta's UFC contract that doesn't expire until November means the UFC retains the right to match any official offer the lightweight receives from an opposing organization.

While Huerta hasn't yet agreed to terms with Strikeforce, his Twitter comments certainly seemed to indicate he was leaning in that direction.

"Ya'll keep asking me when my next fight is going to be," Huerta stated. "Who on here wants to really know?

"My manager [Jeff Clark of NCFC Elite, Inc.] and I met with (CEO) Scott Coker and (matchmaker) Richard Chou with Strikeforce on Monday. So I believe this is where."

Huerta most recently was in action this past September when we proved a worthy adversary for top lightweight contender Gray Maynard. Huerta dropped a split decision to Maynard in the three-round affair.

Huerta opened his UFC career with six consecutive wins. While the prospect was often criticized for facing sub-par competition, the 26-year-old was quickly considered among the UFC's most marketable commodities. Huerta backed up the hype with a December 2007 submission win over Clay Guida in a bout many considered to be among the best fights of that year.

After taking some time off following an August 2008 loss to Kenny Florian for "personal issues with family and stuff," as well as a chance to pursue a film role in the feature version of "Tekken," Huerta was inactive for 13 months before the UFC arranged the matchup with Maynard.

..::UFC on Fuel TV 2 Gustafsson vs. Silva Competition Winner::..
..::Strikeforce - Diaz vs. Cyborg Competition Winner::..
..::UFC Fight For The Troops 2 Competition Winner::..
..::Strikeforce Nashville Competition Winner::..
..::Strikeforce Challengers 9 Winner::..

Post subject: Re: Strikeforce after Big Josh and Roger Huerta
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

man... you cant blame Strikeforce for not trying! They are really doing all they can to establish themselves and personally i give them all the credit for it.

Sure, as Joe Rogan might have hinted that some think, its possible that it waters out the MMA in general as there are several champs and belts and the champoins are not likely to fight eachother, but to be honest, that is because of UFC´s policy to not co promote an event 50-50 like boxing does, but exclusevly making UFC shows. I am sure Strikeforce would be more then happy to go 50-50 with UFC on a heavyweight champ vs heavyweight champ event but Im pretty sure also that UFC would be less reluctant to do it.

All props to SF for doing the best possible :)

Looking for a seedbox? RuTorrent, qbitTorrent, Deluge and Transmission included in all packages! Unlimited torrents, unlimited transfers!
Perfect for both beginners and professionals. Watch the files directly in your browser without downloading or download to your device, up to you!

Really Fast 1 Gbit seedboxes - Professional support 24/7/365 - Click to learn more
To get a recurring 10% discount on all seedbox packages use the PROMO CODE: mmatorrents

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]