Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 11:33 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: Brad Tavares to revamp his camp
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:46 pm 
Special

TOKYO – Brad Tavares (9-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC) knows exactly what Riki Fukuda (19-6 MMA, 2-2 UFC) wants to do, and he's absolutely certain it's not going to happen. After all, he's been there before, and he isn't planning on doing it again.

"I'm not going to take anything away from Aaron Simpson; he's got sick wrestling," Tavares told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "There were a few times I couldn't get off the fence because I felt like as soon as I turned he was going to explode and take me down. So I kind of got stuck there, but it stemmed from me being comfortable or maybe even lazy in the gym.

"When I was training prior to that fight, I was going against wrestlers and guys who were trying to take me down, and in my head I'm thinking, 'I'm defending the shot, so I must be winning. He wants to take me down, but he can't take me down.' But I got too comfortable sitting against the cage."

That experience, the lone professional loss of Tavares' young career, provided a valuable lesson for the youngster. He took that knowledge immediately back into the gym and worked intently to correct his decencies.

"After that fight, it was an eye-opener," Tavares said. "It was like, 'I'm going to lose if I let guys do this to me.' So I went right back into the gym the following week, and that's exactly what I worked on. Every time since then, whenever I'm on the cage, I've constantly got my coaches reminding me to get off the cage. That fight comes to mind every time."

Tavares has since rebounded with decision wins over a pair of ultra-tough middleweights in Tom Watson and Dongi Yang. Now at this weekend's UFC on FUEL TV 8 event, hel faces another tough opponent in Fukuda, who may very well test Tavares' progress. They meet tonight at UFC on FUEL TV 8 at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan. The bout streams on Facebook prior to the FUEL TV-televised main card.

"I know Riki is tough, but I believe my striking is better," Tavares said. "His style is to strike and take you down. That's what he does, and I'm sure at some point he'll try to push me against the cage.

"I don't think he'll be able to shoot and take me down. But I think he'll try to push me against the cage and work from there. If he does get me there, the first thing in my mind is, 'Simpson. Get off the cage.' I've been working on that, and I'm ready for it."

If he's able to avoid such situations, Tavares could very well improve to 5-1 in the octagon, a mark that would certainly get the 25-year-old former cast member of "The Ultimate Fighter 11" consideration for a big-name opponent. That, too, would all be part of the plan.

"I respect everybody in this sport, but I'm a tough kid," Tavares said. "I'm still learning, and I pick up things fast, and I think I'll be there soon. I think with a win right here, it will get me tougher competition and bigger names on a bigger stage. That's what I really want. Eventually, I want to get that belt."

And more than anything, he wants to make sure there's never a reason to wonder if he had done everything within his power to earn a victory.

"Wins and losses are a dime a dozen," Tavares said. "What really matters is effort. Only you looking at yourself in the mirror will know how much effort you have given. At the end of the day, I just want to be satisfied to know that I did my best. Then may the best man win."

Source: MMAJunkie.com

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]