Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 11:27 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Aldo clarifies stance, will fight Pettis, but not for title
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:59 pm 
Special

At the UFC 157 post fight press conference, UFC president Dana White revealed that UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo was refusing a fight with Anthony Pettis, who would be dropping down from lightweight to take the fight, for the first time.

In an interview with Tatame, Aldo clarified his stance.

Tatame: Dana White said at the press conference after UFC 157 Saturday that you won't want to accept the fight with Anthony Pettis. Is this true or will you accept the fight?

Jose Aldo: Nothing is signed. We are hoping for the best for us. I haven't talked to (my manager) Dede, I do not know how the case is. Not watched the event yesterday, because I was asleep, so I'm waiting. First I'll talk to Dede to learn is how the whole situation.

Tatame: The possibility exists that the fight be refused?

JO: This is very concerning, we do not know what is going on. It's a big fight that everyone wants to see, but first I have to talk to Dede.

Tatame: The UFC put Frankie Edgar in a superfight against you, and now want to put the Pettis. Do you agree with this "stuck queue"?

JO: No. They created a ranking for not just that, but is not serving for nothing, because they're pulling people from other categories. This is only happening on my weight, I see it nowhere else. Everyone talks about superfights, but it never occurs in other divisions. We have to sit down and talk with the UFC to see a solution to this case. Why not put Anderson Silva against all others who are wanting to fight for years?

Tatame: Why do you think this is occurring at featherweight?

JO: Yeah (laughs), I do not know if there's any reason for it or not, but no matter. Whoever does not choose a champion opponent or location. We have to be ready at any time and that's what I do. I prepare to give my very best.

Tatame: Do you think other opponents like Ricardo Lamas, before Pettis deserved this chance?

JO: The fighter who deserves the first chance is Ricardo Lamas, because he beat Erik Koch, who was the next contender. He has earned the chance after the victory. Cub Swanson is one that is growing too large. They are athletes of the class, struggling for a long time for a place for the belt, which never arrives according to opponents of the UFC put up category. If the UFC wants a superfight, I do not see any problem. I fight whoever, but the belt has to be against Lamas or Swanson.

Tatame: So you believe that the fight against Pettis should not rely on the title?

JO: Not for me. As a guy will fight for the belt if he never fought in our weight? It is an injustice to others. Do not say no to me, because I'm the champion and I fight whoever comes, but it is an injustice because everyone is training, winning his fights, thinking about becoming champion. Meanwhile, someone comes up category, asks a chance and gives UFC.

Source: Tatame.com (original interview in Portuguese)

Post subject: Re: Aldo clarifies stance, will fight Pettis, but not for title
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:20 pm 
Special

Sonnen wrote:

JO: No. They created a ranking for not just that, but is not serving for nothing, because they're pulling people from other categories. This is only happening on my weight, I see it nowhere else. Everyone talks about superfights, but it never occurs in other divisions. We have to sit down and talk with the UFC to see a solution to this case. Why not put Anderson Silva against all others who are wanting to fight for years?

because we know Pettis will beat all of them, so no need to make those fights to prove to Aldo that Pettis is number 1 contender in 145lb. that's why Dana directly put him against the champion Aldo. :twisted: in fact, Aldo is scared to lose that title from Pettis. :-| so if the fight will be a non titlefight, then it should be in a catchweight since Aldo has always difficulties to make the weight!! i like superfights!!! ::cheers:: WAR Pettis!!! ::rambo::

..::TUF Brazil 3 Finale: Miocic vs Maldonado Competition Winner::..
..::UFC 170: Rousey vs. McMann Competition Winner::..
..::UFC on Fox 4 - Shogun vs. Vera Competition Winner::..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:43 pm 

So Aldo has zero problem fighting 0-2 Frankie Edgar for the title, but suddenly he freezes when faced with a guy on a win streak who's a legit threat? Quack, quack, quack.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:14 pm 

I wish this fight were sooner. I can't wait to see Pettis fight!! :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:38 pm 
Special

It will be a great fight.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]